SD card size for Piaware

What’s the smallest SD card I can use for the piaware setup with a PI 3b?

I know 32gb is recommended, but I don’t understand why, as the piaware software isn’t very big.

Or is there an advantage to use a larger SD card?

Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PiAware image is about 4GB.

You will need some extra room for updates, logging, and what not so you would more than likely want to pick up at least an 8GB card. Honestly for the dollar or two in savings you get by purchasing an 8GB card you might as well spend this savings and get a 32GB card. The more space the less chance of your SD card wearing out sooner.

There was PiAware Jessie Lite image available at one time which I would think would work on a 4GB card…

What’s the smallest SD card I can use for the piaware setup with a PI 3b?

I know 32gb is recommended, but I don’t understand why, as the piaware software isn’t very big.

Or is there an advantage to use a larger SD card?

Any help?

Here is a good discussion of why using a larger card is better. Has to do with the fact that continuous writes to a small card will cause earlier failure.

makeuseof.com/tag/extend-lif … s-sd-card/

That being said, I use the smallest possible card when I first create a system and then make any changes to that smaller card. Then I image copy to a larger card and use raspi-config or linux commands to expand that image so I am using a larger card for day-to-day use.

By keeping what I call my “official” image small it can be image copied much more quickly and also not take up any more space than necessary on my laptop’s HD drive. After making any significant modifications to a system I make a copy – after a couple of years this has begun to occupy a lot of disk space. On many occasions I have decided to return to a earlier version so having a library of modifications is a time saver. However, if you don’t experiment a lot this aspect may not be that important.

Hope that helps.

makeuseof.com/tag/extend-lif … s-sd-card/

Forgot to mention that I am using minibian Jessie and it all fits on a 2 GB card with room left for several additional utilities.

Just got a couple of 16gb, class 10, 80mb/ps fast micro SD cards for £5 each retail (TescoDirect).
(I’ll be using one in my 2nd station).

My main station runs a 32gb class 10, pretty confident 16gb will be alright… (?)