N28RK Falcon 20D down off Bahamas

N28RK accident aircraft, photo George Trussel Air-Britain photos

N28RK a 1969 Falcon 20D operated by Flaviation Group Inc out of KFXE.

Just researching details, seems a Falcon 20 N28RK flying from the Dominican Republic to Miami went down off of the Bahamas, the two persons on board, both American crew members fatal.

Flight Aware Flight Tracker N28RK

Crash site reported as 11 miles East of Grand Inagua, Bahamas - crash occured Thursday evening.

Flight crew lost are reported as pilot Harold Hangle and copilot Tredy Camilo.

Company website; flaviationgroup.net/home.html

Falcon 20D N28RK

one of the guys that I fly with got Tredy Camilo the job, he was also employed at AmeriJet

The only agencies reporting the crash are Dominican news agencies, no CNN, NBC,FOX . How come a US registered plane got lost 500 miles off the US coast and theres no more biggest coverage??? What about NTSB ? Why in the flightaware track log it shows that landed KFXE at 2341? doesn’t flightaware got it’s feed from the FAA??? i know in the original track shows lost of coverage after passing Great Inagua but they reported having transponder issues when they were refueling

Interesting you should say that, because in August of last year a Citation 501SP (FlightAware Thread N223LC) crashed after departing the same airport as N28RK, it also barely noticed in the news.

For some reason NTSB does not seem to have any investigative powers in Dominican Republic, the only statement from them; “The accident investigation is under the control and jurisdiction of the Government of the Dominican Republic.”

ntsb.gov/ntsb/foreign.asp These are NTSB current foreign investigations.

FlightAware Thread N385EM This Cessna 650 is a very unexplained accident from last year, again nothing in the news or from NTSB, or Cessna.

The following is from a Curacao based MD80 Captain;

“I was flying above and behind that plane in an MD80 about 50 miles. My first officer saw a ball of flame and that’s it. Only afterwards did we hear the chatter on the freq and he deduced that it must have been it, because i don’t think there are any refineries on Great Inagua.
Very sad really, Miami issued him a clearance, the jolly guy read it back. After no more than 5 minutes Miami came back with a re-clearance to FXE but got no reply. Sends chill down your spine is seeing how one minutes your just peachy and the next your battling for survival and failing.”

Found an update, reports are possible four persons on board, aircraft hit the ground with the impact felt far away.

Tribune News

Pilot was my next door neighbor, Hal Mangels.

The man lived to fly. Flew Bronco’s in Viet Nam and Lears for the UN in Iraq.

R.I.P. Hal…soar with the eagles

1 Like

Sorry for you loss of your friend.

This is a very rare type of accident, and no doubt will be a very lengthy investigation.

If anyone has any updates, or information on the crew, please feel free to post.

Click Here ASN database on Falcon 20 accident since 1963.

Sorry for your loss.

Tailwinds veteran Hal… :frowning:

Sad. The weather must have been clear.

Flew with Hal on several occasions. Great pilot, great friend. Will be missed. :frowning:

1 Like

I heard from one of the line guys that the plane was in maintenance last week and one of the engines was in pieces on a blue tarp on the floor.

Plus it was built in 1969…

I spy a spare tire in the aft club.

CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN HOW CAN YOU FOUND DEBRIEF OF AN AIRPLANE IN INAGUA OF AN AIRPLANE FLYING AT 400KTS AT FL28 AFTER PASSING THE SUCH A SMALL ISLAND WITH A NW HEADING?? HOW COME TSA,NTSB,FAA HAS NOT INTIATE ANY INVESTIGATION AT THE DEPARTURE POINT AFTER REPORTS IN THE NEWS THAT AIRPLANE DESINTEGRATED IN THE AIR? USCG HAS NO SAR OPERATION IN THE AREA AND THIS WAS A N REGISTERD AIRCRAFT, DOES SOMEBODY HAS ANY ANSWER?

CAPSLOCK!

Because the aircraft departed from the the Dominican Republic and went down over the Bahamas. Unless asked to assist, any investigation it is not within the purview of US authorities.

even though they were operating under Miami centers control…

My question is why didn’t they just buy enough fuel to make it back to FXE in the DR. Fuel is CHEAP in the DR.

I don’t like speculating in this stuff, but I’m not inclined to believe this was a fuel exhaustion situation…

Given the reported fireball, there must have been lots of fuel left on the aircraft.