MU-2 down

N80HH

Great folks, sad to see.

Flight Track

If you zoom in on the flight track at the destination, they made what looks like a missed approach and didn’t make it back around. Gotta wonder about the weather at the time.

Long time daily lurker, seldom poster here. This accident happened 7 miles from my house. I seriously considered driving over this afternoon to take pictures to post here on FA - knowing that by the time I got home, someone would have started a thread about it. However, it seemed to me to be almost too voyeuristic, especially after hearing the scanner traffic of the first responders on the local news website. So I opted to not drive over. The link to the local story along with on-site neighbor interview and scanner traffic is: http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2010/01/18/breaking-news-plane-crashes-at-county-airport/

Of interesting note, KLPR is the home field for our local LifeFlight operation, and it appears from the scanner traffic that the LifeFlight crew were actually on base at the time - however, does not appear that their proximity helped. Field is also with about 5 miles for the ZOB ARTCC.

Noticed on the registration that the plane was manufactured in 2002. I thought MU-2 production ceased in the 1980’s.

Noticed on the registration that the plane was manufactured in 2002. I thought MU-2 production ceased in the 1980’s.

Just going by memory but thought I remember this plane being aroung GNV longer than 2002.

Even if there were survivors after the crash (unlikely after seeing a photo of the plane) they would need paramedics/firefighters. Fixed-wing Lifeflight crews for the most part consist of flight crew, a respiratory therapist and a flight nurse. They are trained mainly to care for a reasonably stable patient while en-route from one medical facility to another. A rotary wing crew would likely have more ability to assist, but usually they are based at a hospital anyway. Still, anyone with medical training would be good to have around at a time like that.
Very sad.

We are fortunate in our area that our LifeFlight program (with four bases around the Cleveland area) is a fully complemented paramedic and trauma nurse team - the bulk of their work is accident scene traffic - we have a secondary program for the transport of stable patients between facilities. Most daytime and trauma flights actually have a trauma physician on board.
http://www.metrolifeflight.net/

I wish we could be so lucky. We have one helicopter for the eastern third of Montana. There are at least four fixed wings based here that are mainly used to retrieve patients from remote/rural hospitals. My wife is a flight nurse, so I get lots of stories. :frowning:

While the greater Cleveland area may have a lot of detractions, we are very fortunate in having top notch health care and access to it. Between the MetroHealth trauma centers and the world renowned Cleveland Clinic, you can always count on some of the best of care here. It is not uncommon at all (at least once a week) to have the some really cool aircraft of foreign royalty families parked at the jet center at Cleveland Hopkins Airport for treatment at the Cleveland Clinic. Some seriously good plane spotting here.

discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?t=9506

According to the FAA registry, the aircraft was classified as an experimental aircraft. The MU-2’s last aircraft was produced in 1986. Maybe the FAA classified it as experimental and set the production date as the date the aircraft was converted to experimental.

What type of modifications to a production aircraft would change its classification to experimental?

Basically, any modifications for which an STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) hasn’t already been issued. Examples might include: different engine(s); fuselage mods such as strakes or fairings; wing mods such as vortex generators or stall fences; and new anti-ice equipment.

Our weather was pretty snotty that day. It was my first thought when I heard about the accident. It was reported that the owner of the plane is the inventor of the drop ceiling. I don’t think he was on board… haven’t read the articles about the crash… been too busy working. I think his family members were onboard… anyone know of better info?

I think his family members were onboard… anyone know of better info?

Local Story

Yes, the four people aboard were the pilot, co-pilot and the husband and wife related to the aircraft owner and employer of the pilots:

wkyc.com/news/local/news_art … 21&catid=3

and

blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/01 … crash.html

It appears the engines were replaced in 2002 that resulted in the Experimental registration. One has to wonder if that contributed to the problems.

Jim

No data or voice recorders on this craft. And yes - the parents of the planes’ owners were the passengers. They are local and the husband DONALD BROWN was the inventor of the “drop ceiling”

That really sucks, RIP, thoughts and prayers to all involved.

MU-2B-60 Marquise was most likely upgraded to new TPE-331-10’s much like the Grand Renaissance Commander’s, this however does not change the mfg. date. STC’s are for the purpose of improving performance and capabilities, but does not change the airplanes date of manufacture…

ijetservice.com/