Midair Collision near Cincinnati

I’m a little surprised this hasn’t been posted yet, but at the same time it didn’t make big news even in Ohio. A 172 collided with a Beech Bonanza near Blue Ash airport (KISZ) in Sharonville, north of Cincinnati on May 11. Unfortunately, three people (2 from the 172 + Beech pilot) were killed.

The Cessna had just taken off, and the Bonanza was approaching the field at the time. There’s strong suspicion that the planes’ wing carriages may have played a part in the accident. The 172 (high wing) was below the Bonanza (low wing), so there’s a strong possibility that neither pilot saw the other until it was too late.

Here’s a link to a news site with the pilots’ radio transmissions. Blue Ash is an uncontrolled field.

Man, FA seriously needs to start random drug testing on some of its users. Come on plane! PULL YOUR HEAD OUT!!

DEE DEE DEE

:smiley:

Sorry, I’ve been working a lot. Drugs played no part in my ignorance, it was a simple case of exhaustion. (and it was way down the list too) :blush:

Due to your exhaustion, your lapse in judgment and ability to SEARCH will be forgiven…this time. :smiling_imp:

My question is why it should even be posted once. Some bent metal on a small plane is about as newsworthy as some bent metal in a car accident. Not minimizing the importance of flight safety and that good people get hurt or even killed in these things, but why is this an event worth paying attention to?

Soap box put away, flamers arm your weapons.

I enjoy reading about accidents! Understanding how and why an accident occurs helps me to prevent a similar situation happening to me in the future. A mid-air is especially interesting to me as that is my worst fear as a pilot.

…and THIS particular mid-air is especially interesting because it was noted that the pilots in the Cessna were engaed in IFR training - something that I will be going through soon.

Because we learn from mistakes…

I’d much rather it be somebody elses then mine, and if I learned from it, then the event wasn’t wasted.

Allen

Good article about that in “Flying” this month (well, June’s issue).

Not only do they help pilots from preventing the same mistake but they also help in the non-aviation roles. It’s amazing to how a little thing here, a little thing there, can add up to something big. Yes, an aircraft accident’s lessons can be translated to the non-aviation world.

“Aftermath”? …or “I Learned About Flying…”?

The one where the 182 wound up in a corn field upside down. Don’t have the mag with me.

That’d be the “I Learned About Flying…” column.

Allen-

I agree with you about learning from aviation mistakes, particularly from other’s. However, most of what we see posted (or on TV, newpapers, etc.) is just that a plane crashed without much, if any, root cause analysis. Sadly, most GA accidents don’t get much serious investigation and there are typically no voice or data recorders in GA planes, so the majority of GA accident reports say some variation on pilot error/loss of control, fuel exhaustion or VFR flight into IMC.

The accident on this thread is a good example. Beyond keeping your eyes outside looking for traffic, that we’ve all had drilled into us countless times, what did you learn?

It would be great if there were knowledgeable discussions about what happened in a given accident so that we could learn from them. Haven’t seen much of that.

I think you have anawered your own question. The point is that despite the training everyone undergoes. Aviation is not rutine. Watching video of crashes or landing incidents or listing to pilot / ATC comunications allows us to not only refect upon a particular event but also gives us the opportunity to examine how we might have reacted to a similar event. You may question yourself as to how you might have done things differently. Could I have done things, based on the information I am seeing / hearing ( at this site or linked site ) prevented an accident or made the best out of a bad situation.

Every bit of information I can absorb makes me and those around me safer.

Are there people who just love to see thing crash or wrecked? Sure! If that wasn’t true than NASCAR wouldn’t have the audience it has today.

But given the nature of this site, and the interest of those who visit, the discussion about aviation accidents / incidents is right at home here.

CAFlier, if you search previous posts, you’ll find some interesting discussions. I remember one from a few months ago about the GOL 737 mid-air over Brazil. Very intersting.

While I agree with you in principle, my point is that there is practically zero information content in these accident “reports” that allows me to do that. The post that two planes collided in mid air and the rumor that one was on an IFR training flight doesn’t give me much to reflect upon.

I agree with both of those points, however was lamenting the fact that there is really little discussion about how it could be done better/safer on this site. Most of the posts on the other thread about this accident are condolences to the people. Very thoughtful and kind for sure. I was wondering out loud why there is so little discussion about lessons learned (and I’m not saying that there isn’t plenty of room for both). There is not a single post on either thread about this accident that says anything to the effect that, “hey, this is a good reminder for all of us that when we’re doing IFR practice flights the safety pilot really needs to have his eyes outside the cockpit, especially near a busy airport like the one in this accident” or “maybe it would be a good idea not to do practice instrument approaches into a busy uncontrolled field at peak hours”, etc. I’m just curious why not.

Here’s my take for what it’s worth…

Unless we are witness to an unfortunate accident, reports we receive will always be “rumor”, he said, she said and so on.

If anything, this particular accident does give us the sober reminder, that eyes need to be OUTSIDE the cockpit, and head on a swivel, so we do get something out of this. All the experience in the world does not take away the importance of seeing and avoiding…

Even if the facts turn out entirely different, if an accident like this reminds of something safe, it served it’s purpose.

Yes, we get the mundane warning all the time, but until something happens like this, we tend to put the mundane warnings on the back burner and lolly gag along without a care in the world.

As we already know, the highways and byways we mortals drive on a day to day basis have more wrecks on a day to day basis and more people die and we tend to say, oh well, it’s a hazard of driving.

Get one plane to drop out of the sky or in this case two bump into each other, and you have sensationalism and a story to tell.

So, in a nutshell, whatever happens, if we get something out of somebody else’s mishaps, whether it be a reminder or learn something, then their experience is not wasted.

In this case, you are so right, the facts are not out there to really establish the cause of the accident, but unfortunately history does repeat itself.

Happy Memorial Day for those folks that do celebrate it, and thanks to all that have paid the ultimate price that allows us to be here (don’t want to lose the purpose of the holiday!) to banter back and forth.

Be safe this weekend whether it be by air or ground.

Allen

Consider it done, you done well CAFlier :slight_smile:

Because non pilots would have no clue to remind us pilots, and pilots would be “bothered” by the mundane reminders" After all, “it won’t happen to them”

Lastly, the mundane reminders don’t sell stories, or get read / understood by non pilots, where as accidents, death and injuries draw sensationalism, and morbid interest by all.

These forums cover a wide range of experience from plane trackers, spotters, to simmers, to ATC to jet jockeys to the ultralighters.

Allen

It is still early in the developmental stages of the investigation. More discussion will follow once FAA releases more information about the crash. Here are just a few samples of threads from some other earlier crashes:

13 pages of Comair 191 Down!
Embraer and 737 Midair collision
Cirrus crash…again
Pilatus PC-12 Down in MT
KA200 crash Great Falls, MT

news video ](http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=052_1178918461)
FAA ](Page not found) preliminary report