Jetnet acquires ADS-B Exchange

JETNET Acquires ADS-B Exchange
Are you happy now that you made some people billionaires?

2 Likes

And wondering how fast people will be deleting the service from their systems. Want to bet there will soon be restrictions on how data is shared. Bet this will not continue at all as it was before…

1 Like

Or it will go behind a pay wall.

2 Likes

Probably not billionaires just millionaires.

2 Likes

Sounds like it was known internally for a while that this might happen… hope this isn’t why @wiedehopf has been absent here? Hope he is OK.

3 Likes

Reports elsewhere that Dan sold it for $20M. James appears to be pissed off with it.

/edit - Other reports saying $8M. Either way, they’re not getting a byte of my data any more.

Time to remove my adsbx feeds if I can work out how.

sudo bash /usr/local/share/adsbexchange/uninstall.sh

edit again, that’s worked. ADSBexchange Anywhere shows no feeds from my IP.

I never used to feed to adsbx, purely because of James’ attitude but wiedehopf sort of talked me into it and then I added a second feed as well when he asked me.

Seeing the comments on reddit, James says he’s been fired and the other devs are still on contract until June or July. I know it’s wrong to speculate but I wonder if that’s part of the reason we’ve not seen Wiedehopf much here for a while.

5 Likes

I’m thinking the same @keithma but I need to try and find another option of getting the actual range ring on another map as it’s nice to see actually how far I’m reaching, as I couldn’t get it to work on tar1090 only the /adsbx map.

1 Like

Removed my sites as well tonight, all 11 of them :innocent:, will leave a hole in the Amsterdam coverage :wink:
The site seems to be timing out at the moment ( error 522 in the browser) so can’t check if all is removed but all the sub pages aren’t reachable at the moment.
If you use the statistics package here’s the uninstall command for that one

sudo bash /usr/local/share/adsbexchange-stats/uninstall.sh
1 Like

I know I have seen posts that state alot of people have stop feeding to them, but honestly you can’t really tell from the tracking map as it is.

looks like he last posted on December 31st in their forum

I am NOT going to stop feeding Adsbexchange, not just for the stupid reason that they have turned commercial.

I want to be fair. When I am feeding commercial sites like FR24, RB24, FA, Planefinder, etc for so many years, why should not I feed Adsbexchange if it becomes commercial like them?

6 Likes

Good point. See how it pans out I guess.

Geoff

1 Like

The problem people are having is not necessarily that it is now commercial, but rather the manner in which it was done. ADSBx was set up and built as a community sourced data sharing site. People like James (as cantankerous as he can be), wiedehopf and others put a lot of time and effort into building up the site into what it is now, and were dismissed as having minimal input.

I don’t think that the guy who sold it had the moral right to do so, even if he may have had the legal right. He has made himself very rich off the back of other people’s work, and not even so much as acknowledged why he was in a position to do so.

The difference with the other sites you mention is that the situation with them is known up front. FA and others use data from volunteer feeders, and in return provide access to additional functionality and features that people couldn’t get on their own. People can decide up front if that’s an exchange they are happy with and decide how much time and effort they are willing to put in accordingly.

It’s a completely different proposition to donate time, effort and money to what is ostensibly a project run for the benefit of its members, only to have someone take that and use it to line their own pockets. I’d say that James has every right to feel aggrieved. It was underhanded and dishonest, and that doesn’t really sit right with me.

12 Likes

Nobody says that you have to remove your feeds to them.
Everybody can make up his or her mind about that.

Going commercial is a decission that they can make.

I don’t see the added value in that for me as a person, I’ve sent them data for the last 4 years and expected nothing in return.
Others like FA and FR24 give you added features like a business account that is usefull for me.
Support wise FA is the best in my opinion and that’s why I remain here :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, you are right. I agree with you.
I think I should also stop feeding Adsbexchange.

4 Likes

Exactly this. What Dan has done is built up a community based on trust and on being very vocal against all the big commercial companies. Yes, we freely give our data to those companies, knowing exactly what they’re doing with it.

What he’s done is betray that community by selling out to one of those big companies he’s been banging on about for years. A lot of people were happy to feed adsbx and nowhere else, purely because they were an open source project, non commercial, non profit making and there simply to provide free data for anyone who wanted it. What he’s done is to say a massive “fuck you” to the community and pocket the profits.

The more I think about it, the more it frustrates me.

11 Likes

Your comment reminds me of Shakespeare 's play “The Merchant of Venice” in which Shylock had legal right for “a pound of Antonio’s flesh”, but had no moral right to demand it.

3 Likes

Anyone knows anything about https://globe.adsb.fi/ ? It was mentioned on Reddit yesterday.

ColdFustion0012 says:
January 26, 2023 at 6:27 pm
https://hackaday.com/2023/01/26/ads-b-exchange-sells-up-contributors-unhappy/#comment-6585169

Looks like a new temp (maybe more?) site is setup at https://globe.adsb.fi/tar1090
you can feed it with a small change:

/etc/default $ cat /etc/default/adsbexchange | grep feed.adsb
MLATSERVER=”feed.adsb.fi:31090″
TARGET=”–net-connector feed.adsb.fi,30004,beast_reduce_out,feed.adsb.fi,64004″

ColdFustion0012 says:

January 26, 2023 at 6:46 pm https://hackaday.com/2023/01/26/ads-b-exchange-sells-up-contributors-unhappy/#comment-6585176

Oh and edit /usr/local/bin/adsbexchange-feed.sh as well

1 Like

I read that too but I wanted to know if anyone knew more about that site. Is it legit? Who created it?