If I live to 100, I will still not understand the stats page

So this a.m. (6 EST) while waiting for the first pot of coffee to finish brewing I checked my stats page. I did a double take when I saw that I had 1600 + airplanes when usually I have between 750 and 900 at that hour depending on weather and day of the week. In the OTHER row for today I already had something like 449 planes. I rarely have more than 100 for an entire day.

I looked at the HOURLY COLLECTIONS GRAPHS and saw a huge spike of ADS-B positions (near 40,000) at about 11 p.m. last night. I checked other sites in my area and saw a similar spike so I figured a vast number of new planes were being delivered somewhere.

Now here is the confusing part. As today has progressed my OTHER count has dropped by 80 or so and keeps dropping by 4 or 5 per hour. The other strange thing is that the spike of positions now shows that it occurred at 9 p.m. last night, two hours earlier than this morning.

I thought the Stats represented a period for 00 UTC-23:59 UTC so why would the OTHER count drop? Likewise, why would the spike on the HOURLY COLLECTIONS GRAPHS shift to two hours earlier?

http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/tdrane

BTW, my mother is 105 so my chances of reaching 100 are pretty good.

The best thing in this thread is it’s title :smiley:

I feel your pain on the stats…

I think the last line is better than the title ! :stuck_out_tongue:

“BTW, my mother is 105 so my chances of reaching 100 are pretty good.”

Best wishes to you and especially your Mum tdrane. :smiley:

Experience has proved that Longevity runs in families. It is hereditary, or in modern terms, it is the clock in genes which sets the age a person will die.

The genes are like computer code, but in molecular form. This code in genes, when run on hardware (many types of protein molecules + many types of enzyme molecules) creates & maintains all forms of life on this planet.

Our genes/DNA carry the computer code in which God has written us.

I think FA are just experiencing some more growing pains and messages aren’t being tabulated into the stats at the rate that would be required until the spike you see. The average numbers from day to day are right or at least consistent with what I’ve seen in the past.

I have two feeders 20 miles (32 Km) apart. One sees similar spikes, the other does not.
spikes http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/LitterBug#stats-17370
no spikes http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/LitterBug#stats-5696

Cheers!
LitterBug

I have similar anomalies.
Every once and a while I can see 10-20 A/C and vehicles on the ground at EWR or LGA.
They are there for maybe 5-10 minutes then go away.
They can add up.

Also, circling aircraft can also add up.
I had three stacked up at 3,4,5K waiting to go into LGA after the heavy rain on Tuesday.
(They made nice race tracks on dump1090)

News and law enforcement (if ADS-B/Mode S equipment) A/C can circle for a while and also increase stats.

If position reports increase without additional A/C then it is likely that they just hung around for a while longer than usual(assuming the stats are accurate).

It could also be something like this guy
airframes.org/reg/n687rt
“FBI Surveillance Aircraft” I see doing orbits of Brooklyn for hours today. Edit (3 hours later, and it is still circling.
I saw one a few weeks ago orbiting Jersey City for several hours.