I thought Oprah bought a Global Express

Did it downsize itself?
flightaware.com/live/flight/N54SL

Did what downsize what?

FAA does not use the Global Express name as “Type” for Ophra’s jet.

registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry … ertxt=54SL

What I meant was, if you click the link:
flightaware.com/live/flight/N54SL
the aircraft is noted as a Bombardier BD-700 Global 5000, as opposed to the Global XRS or Express. The 5000 is the smaller of the two. Hence my reference to downsizing. I find it almost impossible to believe she bought the smaller aircraft, given all the flying she does. I thought it odd that the Express was mentioned in this forum, with picture links, GLEX was attached for the following link, and in the midst of operations, it changed to the GL5T.

I think it’s just a simple mistake.

BD-700-1A11 seems to be a Global 5000 where as BD-700-1A10 (which is what Oprah’s is) is a Global Express.

Screw it. It is the FAA’s fault. 'Nuff said.

So now we will have to refer to it as a GL5T?!

JB

oprah and the global have spent the last week in south africa - lanseria , she departed back to chicago on friday eve

she has been in south africa for the last week , just departed at 0814z for chicago via dakar

Just to clear things up, Oprah DOES have a Bombardier Global 5000. It is no mistake. The reason she did not get the Express is most likely because she does not need the range, as she probably mostly flies domestic. The 5000 can fly nonstop from NY to Europe or Hawaii to NY, which is considerably far, just not as far as the Express. There’s also a few extra feet on the Express but it is not seen in the cabin. Only in the pilot’s area (extra seat and sleeping room for a 3rd pilot). Also, there’s a $10 million difference. Worth it for a few extra feet and longer range? I dont think so…

Following a bird strike incident to her G-IV on departure from SBA one day, she decided the airplane had bad Juju and it was time for a trade… A new Gulfstream has a long lead time where new Global’s were available from Bombardier. And I’m sure she got a smokin’ deal as a Gulfstream customer conquest…

Since 54SL is blocked, how do you know all this? Do you know the meaning of 54SL?

it was not blocked for a while, recently she had it blocked

The FAA says N54SL is a BD-700-1A10, which is indeed a Global Express. BD-700-1A11 is a Global 5000.

registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry … ertxt=54sl

ever heard of ACARS?

Just to clear things up, Oprah DOES have a Bombardier Global 5000. It is no mistake. The reason she did not get the Express is most likely because she does not need the range, as she probably mostly flies domestic. The 5000 can fly nonstop from NY to Europe or Hawaii to NY, which is considerably far, just not as far as the Express.

she does chicago to johannesburg every 2 to 3 months which is pretty far.as for the extra $10 million , oprah woudn’t even notice it.

Yeah, but how do you monitor ACARS?

She was born in 1954 and her initials are OW and since you have to use a ‘0’ instead of an ‘O’ that explains N540W but what is the SL in N54SL?

Yeah, but how do you monitor ACARS?

with a vhf radio and a ACARS software program!!

N54SL ](http://www5.flickr.com/photos/yahqqligan/401500331/in/set-72057594111465124/) photo from Flickr photo sharing.

Just for the record, this aircraft is a GLOBAL EXPRESS XRS serial number 9187, it was registered C-FEAK on 23-12-05, it was re-registered N540WY on 1-2-06, it was delivered to HARPO on 12-01-07, and re-registered N54SL on 21-02-07.

Note the 5000 has 10 windows, and the XRS has 15!

IMO it has a fairly lackluster paint scheme, although very similar to the Gulfstream.

bp3.blogger.com/_PBGzvyx5MOw/RqL … /N54SL.jpg