I don't want to be 'headless'. How to do it?

Is it possible to image an SD card with the full Raspbian Stretch with desktop, and then install Piaware and/or ADS-B Receiver Project to run all the time like in a headless configuration?

Basically, I want to be able to reach a remote RPi on my network using VNC, and use the Raspbian Desktop, while the ADS-B ‘business’ runs in the background. If I need to make changes to the ADS-B side of things, I’ll open a terminal window.

Thanks.

Yes, see the link. I will be doing the same at some point because I also use VNC and find the free license in Raspbian very useful. Or I might treat myself to a new B+ and keep the B as a dedicated PiAware box after all.

Shameless plug incoming…
Install a fresh copy of Raspbian Stretch (not the lite version) and use my scripts.

Or try using the image supplied by FlightAware then after setup add the GUI.
sudo apt-get install -y raspberrypi-ui-mods rpi-chromium-mods

EDIT:
Save money on SD cards and buy a Western Digital PiDrive or any other external USB HDD drive for that matter. They osts 30 to 50 dollars and my PiDrive has been running 2 years plus. Only thing the SD card in my RPi holds is the boot partition which except for updates is not really written to. As a matter of fact the SD card in my device has been running as long as the PiDrive.

Note that you boot a RPi 3 from a USB disk now and do away with the SDcard entirely. I’ve not tried this with the PiAware image (but I will at some point), and you will need to use a decent 2.5A PSU to support the USB ports.

Interesting, I’d like instructions on how, or is it just the latest model? (I currently boot from SD and run everything off usb or ssd, but would like to ditch sd-card completely)

See the video that I linked

never knew that, i’ll give it a go - thanks

Let us know how you get on, especially if you’re using the PiAware image!