How to link to my account?

My SD card was running V6.1 and there were no problems but I was getting messages that V8.2 is available and I needed to upgrade.

I tried the command line to update and restart several times but it never updated so I removed the SD card from my PI and put a new image on the SD card for the latest V8.2.

I followed the instructions and looked for the “Unique Identifier:” so that the card would broadcast my id and thus link to my account.

I could not find the "feeder-id: " on the “boot/piaware-config.txt” file so I added it to a blank like and saved the file.

Well instead of broadcasting to my Unique Identifier, it has created a new account # and I had to claim it to be able to see that it is working.

Did I put the "feeder-id: " in incorrectly?

Open file `/boot/piaware-config.txt for editing

sudo nano /boot/piaware-config.txt

Scroll down to bottom of above file till you see the last line which will be as below:

# Additional settings can be added below.

Below that line add following line:

feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Note: Replace xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx by your actual feeder id

Save file, then restart piaware.

1 Like

Thanks but that’s where I put it originally.

I didn’t use “” nor have a line with a #

Is there a way to do this without me having to climb back up, remove the SD card, climb back down, edit the line, save and then reinstall?

I don’t know how to remote access the pi

Thanks!

if you look for the unique identifier on your stats page you will see the old site and the new site listed.
Select the old site and note the identifier.
Then, select the new site and you will see the site local ip adress listed underneath.

If you have enabled SSH when creating the image then you can access the Pi via an command line interface program like Putty.
https://www.putty.org/

install the program, run it and select the Site local IP adress as the location to connect to using port 22 ( it is the default setting of putty).
Then you can edit the contents of the boot config file.

If you haven’t enabled SSH then you will have no other option then to take down the card again unfortunately.
Here’s how to enable SSH for future use:

Thanks, I went and added the “feeder-id: ***********************************” line at the end of the #'s and then I went and added an SSH.txt file and saved it.

Reloaded the SD card just to make certain that it was actually saved and then reinstalled the SD card into the PI.

No changes to the side identification or feeder-id.

I can access the unit via putty but I cannot get in as it does not accept the password as the password. So no better off than I was.

Just wonder why the feeder id is not doing it’s job?

The punctuation marks " and : are causing the problem.
Remove " and :
The line should become like below (no punctuation marks)

feeder-id xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 Like

I deleted the semicolon “:” and saved the file.

Still not being linked to the original site and the new site is still working under the new #… ???

Any idea as to why putty is not working? It keeps saying password is not correct.

Also… I had to re add the SSH.txt file as it was not there when I edited the feeder-id section I noticed I could not find the file in the boot section.

Strike that! It is now working… I refreshed and refreshed the website and it’s back up!!

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

When Pi is booted after adding he file SSH, the ssh is enabled and the file SSH is deleted.

Once ssh is enabled, it remains enabled, and you dont have to add the deleted SSH file again.

You have Piaware SD card image. Try these:

username = pi
password = flightaware

1 Like

Thanks you!! It worked.

Now I’m in I have to learn what to do next but fortunately it’s all working correctly

Thanks again!

1 Like

Just a comment - I installed piaware onto an original bullseye image and my config file is in the /etc directory.

Geoff

You’ll get plenty of assistance here, usually pretty quick too.

Geoff

For Beginners - Piaware Feeder-id Mechanism

1 Like

Ok, another day another problem.

I was out of town (always seems to be when things go wrong) for 2 weeks and some reason my router hit a glitch and the receiver ceased to be connected to my network.

I tried to get it back on line and no luck. Reflashed the SD card and still no luck so I purchased a new PI.

Well it works but even though I copied the piaware.config file it does not show up under my usual account so I claimed it and I now have it back on line but under a new account!#

What I find perplexing this time is under “Internet IP” the original site no longer shows a 192.168.***** instead it shows a “2601:647:500:2410:14bc:6971:62*********” and I cannot get it to work under the original account.

The new account has the Internet IP as 192.168.**** like the original one.

Is there something that got updated that I don’t understand?

Thanks!

It is reporting in under your IPv6 adress instead of your IPv4 adress.you could temporarly disable IPv6 on your router in order to get it reporting an IPv4 adres to the flightaware server.
the 192.168 adress is an internal adress btw (private class C network) and not your external IP adress.

Sadly I cannot find a means on my router to turn off the IPv6

Can’t understand why it would change…

Another option is first to set a fixed IP on IPv4 and after that to disable IPv6 on the rapsberry Pi itself.
Router can prefer IPv6 over IPv4 depending on make or model.

Step 1
First check if the IPv6 is active:
Type the command “ifconfig”

This command will display the current network settings.

It wil show the the following items:
Eth0 or the adapter name

lo ( local interface)

If there is a WLAN present it will show as
wlan0

Step 2
it is a good idea to make a backup of the dhcpdc.conf file if you are new to linux:

sudo cp /etc/dhcpcd.conf /etc/dhcdcp.backup

This will allow you to roll back any changes you make.

Step 3
To edit the network setting you must edit the dhcpcd.conf file to set up a static IP address.

The following command can be used to load the file into an editor update the file:

sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf

Place these lines at the top of the file too set the Ethernet port (eth0) to a static IP address:

interface eth0

static ip_address=10.11.44.124/24

static routers=10.11.44.1

static domain_name_servers=172.16.33.85

Set the address (ip_address) to the IP address you want the Raspberry Pi to occupy.

Set the routers value to the gateway address

If available, set to domain_name_servers to you name servers

Once the file has been updated, use ctrl x to save and exit.

Step 4
Once the dhcpcd file has been updated, you must restart the Raspberry Pi for the changes to take effect.

Used to following command to restart:

sudo reboot

Step 5
Use the “ping” command to confirm that the Raspberry Pi is on the network and talking to another computer also on the network.

If you have trouble pinging other computers on the network work, check the following:

1. Confirm that the ethernet cable is firmly connected to the Raspberry Pi and network switch.
  2. Confirm that the ip address, mask and gateway are correct.
  3. If pinging a Windows machine, sometimes security setting prevent responding to a ping request.

This sets you up with a fixed IPv4 adress.

If you want to disable the IPv6 stack on the raspberry Pi then look at this page with a few methods you can use.

If this is to complicated for you you will have to supply make and model of the router so we can look if there is a way to disable IPv6.

1 Like