Keeping feeder ID on new install

I’ve read the following but none of the instructions have worked for me:

I had to replace the SD card on my Raspberry Pi (3B+), so I had to freshly install piaware. When I run the piaware-config feeder-id 12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789abc

command, I get

Set feeder-id to 12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789abc in /etc/piaware.conf:1 could not write new config files: couldn't open "/etc/piaware.conf": permission denied

I also can’t edit /boot/piaware-config.txt.

How do I update my new installation to continue using my existing feeder-id?

Put sudo in front of the command.

1 Like

I’m stupid. Thank you.

1 Like

The instructions on the site need to be updated to include the sudo part as it catches people out. It’s there in step 4 for the final restart but not for the piaware-config part nor the suggestion of editing the file (requires sudo nano or similar).

This does include sudo :

1. For Beginners - How to Get Back Existing Station Number in A Fresh Install

Some additional "How To"s

1. For Beginners - Howto Set Receiver Location

2. For Beginners - How to Enable Sending Remote Commands to Pi from Stats Page

3. For Beginners - How-to Remove Unused Site from Your Account

4. How To Format Messages in This Discussion Forum

5. What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

6. Three Easy DIY Antennas for Beginners

7. Do I Need A Filter?

2 Likes

I never enter the sudo for piaware-config changes, and it works fine. It may depend on how people access the Pi, I guess. I use PuTTY, and login with the FA default user and pwrd.

Since there or both types of accesses, requiring / not requiring sudo, it is advisable to include sudo in a guide/howto, to cover both cases.

1 Like

If your not using sudo it will because of the file permissions, to edit via putty or WINSCP you must have chmod 77* the file to amend permissions.

Same here. Without sudo the file can’t be altered.

[ Error writing /boot/piaware-config.txt: Permission denied ]