How to build build a multifeeder

Dear all,

is there a manual on how to build a multifeeder from a software point of view based on a Raspi? Something like what OS base-image and what to install when?

Thanks,
Marcus

Check out A simple way to feed ADS-B data - can feed one or many destinations, installation is guided and complexity ranges from easy to advanced (you choose, end result is same feeding). In my experience, I recommend something a bit more robust than a Rasperry Pi 3B+ (e.g a Pi4 or 5, a thin client or similar) if using other than an ADS-B dongle (e.g. AirSpy) or feeding more than a couple of sites.

f2d5923666598326eb32e40386c6fd4a41067c5d_2_516x318

If you go for do-it-yourself, there are many guides/experiences in this forum by @abcd567 @wiedehopf @caius @foxhunter and many others.

4 Likes

Start using Raspberry OS, plain install in headless mode (without graphical desktop)

Download here:
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/
(take the Lite image)

Once you have the Raspberry running i would install Piaware first, because the software decoder (dump1090) is installed if you follow the instructions here:

After that it does not matter which feeder you install next.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @foxhunter !!!

Yeah, not necessarily a “manual” per se. But like the others posted, start with a good Pi - 4, 5 or Zero 2W. I prefer a wired connection, so a 4 or 5 and with Power over Ethernet (PoE) too, you get power to the Pi and a wired connection. Install Pi OS Lite (the one without the graphical desktop). Install Piaware software from Flightaware using their instructions on the site. Get that all set up and running. Then from there, it’s basically just installing and setting up the other site’s feeding software on top. FR24, Radarbox, ADSB.fi etc.

One thing to be aware of, and i’d recommend right away, once you have your Flightaware station up, get it’s MAC address and local router assigned IP address either from the FA desktop interface, or from the Pi OS. Go into your router settings and assign a static IP address to your Pi. This way, every time you restart it, the router will reserve the same local IP for your pi all the time. There’s a setting in the Radarbox config where you basically tell it what IP and port to get data from, so if the PI’s IP changes on the network due to dynamic assignment, Radarbox will be looking in the wrong place and will not show any data, and you’ll have to go into the config to constantly change the IP address to whatever it is that time. Bottom line- Assign a static IP address within your router, for the Pi.

4 Likes