How do I remote in to my Flightaware from my mobile or laptop on a external network

How do I carry out this so that I can do this from my phone providers network.

1 Like

You need to use a VPN like Zerotier
https://www.zerotier.com/

Me and many others here are using it. Works perfect

I just use the browser that came with my cell phone. On my home router I forward the external port such as 5432 to (ip of raspberry pi):8080 for PiAware, To connect from my cell phone I enter (home IP):external port in the browser, i.e., http://123.45.67:5432. My router forwards the packet to the RPi port 8080, i.e., http://192.168.1.x:8080.

If you wish to do this to view SkyAware, another option is to use create a free account at RealVNC and use that to access a desktop OS inside your network and use the browser on that to view your PiAware.

For example if you have another Pi running Pi-hole, you can enable VNC on that (using raspi-config) and log it into your RealVNC account, and then on your laptop or phone remotely you can run VNC Viewer to connect to that Pi, and use that to view PiAware.

You also have SkyAware Anywhere available for that (if you are logged in to your FlightAware account).

With Zerotier there is no need to open ports or install any additional software. Both can cause a security risk if not configured properly.

2 Likes

A router must be configured to allow ZeroTier to exit the firewall to communicate. It may be an OK application, but it is still an app that must be downloaded, installed, configured and kept running. I have not read the ZeroTier docs, but I presume that it must run on at least one host on a subnet for access to that subnet. That isn’t necessary when a router is used to configure access. Finally is traffic routed through ZeroTier servers? If so, that is a security risk.

I use
https://flightaware.com/skyaware/

That doesn’t display info from just your station. I have flightaware,com/skyaware and local PiAware tabs running side by side. SkyAware has many more flights (90) shown than the local PiAware shows (71).

Normally yes but you can create your own private root servers if you wish to “air gap” a set of nodes from the rest of the Internet entirely.

I am using Zero Tier (as Foxhunter suggested to me a few years ago) as well and I am very happy with it. even for me it was easy to install and to configure. You should give it a try

I did not do anything on my router to allow it. All ports are closed, UnPnP is disabled (AVM Fritzbox)

It worked directly out of the box.

Zerotier is end-to-end encrypted.

And the source code can be reviewed - if someone is skilled enough:

Your router’s outgoing ports are wide open without restriction. As such it allows malware to “call home” or any app to establish an outgoing connection. to anywhere. That isn’t something that I would ever recommend. Out of the box Windows has almost no security enabled. It only limits incoming connections.

I am not using any Windows Client in my network and all devices are operating behind pfSense Firewall and a VPN connection.

Even with this configuration Zerotier is working.

Congrats! You are one of the few (99th percentile) with a grasp of network security. Personally, my network follows US DoD guidelines because at one time it held low level classified documents. The documents are no longer on it, but the smart card security is still in place.

1 Like

Thank You.

I agree, not that many home users care about network security.

There are a lot of options available. Zerotier is one of them, I use the paid version of TeamViewer in order to connect to a Windows NUC inside my network. The NUC has the local view of Skyaware Anywhere running 24/7

That also eleminates the need to open up ports. I have one unlisted port open to get access via IP if needed but 99% is working via the TeamViewer option.:innocent:

1 Like

Skyaware shows all the flights from all of your stations.
Your sites are all co-located, so this is not obvious.
My sites are a little more widely spread so it stands out.

What also can be considered is to feed ADSBExchange and use the Stats package which shows an online version of your data feed.

However there are controversal discussions about ADSBx because of their decision to get sold.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.