How 2 combine 2 PiAwares to look like one

Is there any way to combine two PiAware to report as one?
I have 2 about 50 feet apart but one can only see NE and the other
can only see SW. There is only about 5 degrees overlap in the NW
and SE directions.
What I would like to do is using one or more netcat programs (nc)
send all data (probably only need port 30003) from A to B and
disable A from report direct to flightaware.

PS

1. port 30003 is all messages in asciii. Is there a better port in binary?
  2. What is the correct port to send to on host B so it incorporates the data?
  3. Do I need anything else?
  1. This is also the port that PiAware gets it data from

Usually not a good idea. At a minimum, mlat will stop working.

As already said, you should keep separate feed clients on both stations.

But if you want to view the combined traffic, you can do that in a separate interface.

This will help you a little:

https://github.com/wiedehopf/combine1090

1 Like

Friend of mine is operating a Raspberry with two sticks on a church tower. Reason is that there is a concrete wall in between. So he has two feeders set up as once, but at the same location. And it shows “MLAT connected”

So there might be some circumstances where it is working

It’s certainly not synchronized … if everything works it will show the number of peers on the stats page.

1 Like

If you’ve got two separate receivers and you haven’t done anything to ensure that they’re providing synchronized timestamps (practically speaking, that means using a receiver that does GPS timestamping of messages in hardware) then no it’s not working. It may be connected, but the client will be yelling at you about out-of-order timestamps and the server will just be ignoring your data.

Does anyone know a low-cost receiver which does time stamping in hardware? Something as low cost as DVB-T is?

Posts in thread “Plane Finder Radar”

Lee Armstrong
Administrator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2016

Also the MLAT is beautifully smooth due to the GPS resolution we have achieved. No smoothing has been done to this at all!

caius
Feb 19, 2016

That’s quite an improvement. What is the receiver based on? I assume that it has considerably better dynamic range than the dongles 8 bit ADC. Is it software based, or are you using an FPGA?

Lee Armstrong
Administrator
Staff member
Feb 19, 2016

Not based on an SDR at all. FPGA based

It had to be to get the accuracy of the timestamps we are after!

The dynamic range of the ADC is much much better too.

As said above it is one Raspberry but with two sticks. So not two independent ones.
Maybe i was not clear enough, sorry about that

Define “low-cost”.
You need a GPS module which is available for Raspberries, but the ones i found are all > 30$

The question is if it’s 2 stations in the FA stats, if not the MLAT won’t work.
Whatever you post here will not persuade either me or obj because we both understand how the synchronization works.

Not sure you can look at the exact configuration on the feed client and how it’s wired together.
Because that would be where you can learn what’s happening or actually contribute something useful except for handwaving.

You didn’t read it correctly, the GPS needs to built into the ADS-B receiver to timestamp the data / messages.
So standalone GPS modules are besides the point.

I’ll leave you here with a rough idea how the synchronization works without GPS timestamped data:
https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wiki/wiki/MLAT

Sorry, that was never my intention

Sure there should be 1090 MHz FPGA based receivers available. When I searched, although I found some on Amazon & eBay, but none mentioned 1090 MHz or ADS-B. The cheapest FPGA based receiver I found was $60. Most were in $200 to $400 range.

Maybe that is one of the reasons why the Radarcapes are that expensive. If i am not wrong their solution is hardware based

@MartinGrossman
@foxhunter
@obj
@wiedehopf

Instead of using two antennas and two dongles, then combining output of two dongles, why not combine two antennas to feed only one dongle? The Splitter/Combiner attenuation can be compensated by LNA.

Combiner Type 1:

Output Attenuation: 6dB
US $3.10

Combiner Type 2:

Insertion Loss: ≤1
US $3.36

Interesting idea. I don’t have too often contact to the owner, but will suggest it.

This is slightly black magic, since you just unintentionally built a little phased array.

More generally, it depends on the reason for having two antennas. If you’ve got an obstructed view … maybe … but I’d still just go with two independent receivers. If you’re trying to sectorize your reception to reduce garble then combining the signals is counterproductive.

1 Like

Luis Cova
May 28, 2016

Does the PlaneFinder Radar uses normal ports? 30003 for BaseStation… 30005 or 30334 for AVR/Beast?

Lee Armstrong
Administrator
Staff member
May 28, 2016

It uses a custom format that when it goes on sale we will publish.

All existing formats couldn’t cope with the timestamp resolution we needed.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.