Help with new piaware setup

Hi,

Bought everything on the piaware shopping list, followed instructions, have it registered/associated with my account, but on my stats page, it says “No Active FlightAware ADS-B Sites For This User (djwaddel)” is this because I don’t have a lot of flights in my area, a crappy antenna, or did I do something incorrect in the setup?

I’m using the standard antenna that came with the ads nesdr mini receiver. It’s on my covered patio, but has a clear shot to a large portion of sky.

If I look at the global stats page, and click “newest ads-b sites” there is one that is pretty much the exact time I got mine working, and in the same geographic location. The user is listed as unclaimed.

Is there somewhere I can figure out what my site id # is based on my piaware Mac (or whatever the hex # is)?

Any tips/hints/ideas/ next steps?

Thanks y’all!!

Goto this webpage, and read Step #4, then click on the Claim your site link.

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

Hi tjowen, thanks for the reply!

I’ve done that many times, here’s what it says:

Unfortunately, FlightAware hasn’t found a new, unclaimed PiAware connection yet from your IP (71.87.154.185). Either your device has not yet connected (it takes a few minutes to start) or you are on a different IP address.

FlightAware searches for PiAware connections on the same global IP (71.87.154.185) as your connection. If you are on the same LAN as the PiAware device, then we should be able to find the receiver and claim it for you. You should wait a few minutes after plugging in your PiAware device before expecting it to be connected to FlightAware. Try checking cable connections, waiting a few moments, and trying again.

Check Again for my PiAware Setup Manually with HDMI display + keyboard (advanced)

Linked PiAware Receivers (djwaddel)

Great news! Your account is associated with the following PiAware receivers and you can view your statistics here:

b8:27:eb:1f:d6:34: PiAware (SD Card) 2.1 added Thursday, March 3, 2016 (71.87.154.185 / 192.168.0.108)

So it looks like I successfully “linked” my pi, but like I said, I don’t see any stats at all, and I have no idea what my site id# is or anything. Very confused…

type in the ip address of your pi so 192.168.X.XX:8080 and you can see if you are tracking anything

Hi Mark2fly,

Thanks for the reply,

Did 192.168.0.108:8080 and got a “connection refused”. I did a ‘netstat -nat’ on my pi, and don’t see anything listening on port 8080.

I’ve done the ‘service piaware restart’ etc and still no go.

I don’t live somewhere that would see a bunch of flights, and have the standard extendable metal antenna that came with the ads-b USB receiver. Could it be I just haven’t " seen" any flights from my receiver?

Thanks again!

Fwiw, I’m fairly certain this is me: flightaware.com/adsb/stats/site/19710

Because of the timestamp, and the fact that I’m in a comparatively sparesly populated area… But again, it’s listed as unclaimed. Is there no way to match the site# with my IP, or the Mac/hex# of my pi?

Thanks again!

piaware is connected correctly, but dump1090 is not running, so you’re not receiving or feeding any data to Flightaware; some data needs to be fed before FA creates the site.
From the logging that piaware forwards, it’s periodically trying to start dump1090, but that’s not working for some reason.

Check the USB connections to the dongle.

Obj,

Thank you!! I tried a different USB port, and it looks like that was it! Sorry about that.

Thank you everyone!!