helicopters-where are they?

i was just wondering-why doesnt FAW show helicopter flights? It would be nice, since the majority of audible traffic near me is just helicopters.

1 Like

They’re almost exclusively operating VFR. You can occasionally see them on the area maps when looking at an airport.

You can see Army helicopter flights out of Cairns AAF (KOZR). Don’t let the prefixes like PIC (Pacific Airlines Holding Company) or WIL (Aero Air) fool you. These are really Army flights.

The are also flights out of Louisiana that operate IFR. These are drilling rig flights.

There are also flights out of Louisiana that operate IFR. These are drilling rig flights.

How is the destination of an oil rig indicated on FA?

It would probably be filed as a latitude/longitude.

For all you ever wanted to know about location identifiers, look at the FAA publicaton 7350.7 Location Identifiers available at faa.gov/atpubs/

Oil platforms appear to be given just a latitude/longitude designation. Hwever, the publication mentioned above does show some oil platforms that have a 2 number/1 letter code.

I would imagine that many of the oil platform support fligts are performed under VFR conditions so they problaby won’t show up to often inf FlightAware.

Found one - N501HE

Hey guys:

The Palm Beach County Hospital system flies two S-76C+ which are often very viewable in FAW. Just look up KPBI…they almost always fly IFR plans on their aerovac flights.

Brad Kostelny
Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant, BWI Base

Hey all:

Another note…KTIX, Space Coast Regional Airport in FL…near my home in Merritt Island, FL…has a training outfit using R-22 copters…some do file IFR…check out KTIX.

Brad Kostelny
Southwest Airlines Flight Attendant, BWI