Guide to install PiAware on Raspberry Pi 4

As a newbie I had some trouble sorting this, so I am setting out the steps that FlightAware and others on this forum showed me. Basically the PiAware SD image will not work on the Pi 4, as it needs updating. However, PiAware can be installed successfully using the command line in Raspbian Buster.

You need to type the following lines. Each needs to be loaded with the Enter key:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install piaware

sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes
sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes

sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa

sudo reboot

After all that, make sure you claim on the FlightAware site and enter your location co-ordinates. If you don’t, MLAT will not work!

8 Likes

Thanks for this tuto !
Is it possible to change the “piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb” with the “piaware-repository_3.7.2_all.deb” version, or is it not working with a Pi4 ?

1 Like

They’re actually identical except for the version number.

1 Like

Thanks, so i’m using the last version the 3.7.2 :wink:

Worked perfectly on Raspberry Pi4. Thanks.

Thank you so much, works great!!

Are you using ubuntu? or? bit confused

You are a champion. Thanks mate.
I just took delivery of my prostick and aerial and couldnt install pi aware on my raspi 4.
Cheers

@tgbonnici

Which version of Piaware you installed?
If you have used commands given in this thread, then you have installed old version, either 3.7.1 or 3.7.2

The current version is 4.0. Go to this page to find the command for latest version:

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install

Yoy can check installed version by following command

sudo apt-cache policy piaware

1 Like

Hi mine is 4.0 I just checked.

You need to provide many more details of what you did and what didn’t work.

“couldn’t install piaware” … is way too unspecific for anyone to even guess what the issue is.

1 Like

LOL, this sounds like questions on the car forums: “my car won’t start anymore, what could be wrong?”.

This time of year, it’s normally the battery :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

That’s actually incorrect.
Only the repository will have that version.
Due to the repository changing he will still have installed the latest dump1090-fa / piaware version. (try i dare you! :wink: )

Without more info, even that is not sure.
For example, here this morning is a balmy 5C. Not so alike Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada with a freezing -16C (Real Feel -26C).
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/kxtg7o/i_guess_he_forgot_about_his_kite/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I did not try it, but I believe you.

I dont understand if this is the case, then why the repository package is versioned like piaware-repository_4.0_all.deb? It can be versionless like piaware-repository_all.deb

What it does is to add these two:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/piaware.list

/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/flightaware-archive-keyring.gpg

I’m not certain either … at least having a link that redirects to the most current package would be great. (versioning is kinda required for debian packages and there are changes like renewing the key for the repository and stuff)

It’s built from the same source package as piaware-support and piaware-release so those packages all share the same version number

I got my pi 4 today and I can’t seem to get flightaware to work , it works fine on my older 3b , I’ve done the code but no matter what it doesn’t work , have I missed something

Any help would be appreciated
Jay

Try this how-to, it may help: