Frequencies?

I’m kinda an airline buff. Don’t have my pilot’s license, but I fly model planes and have my amateur radio license… that makes me a radio geek :slight_smile:

I’m traveling out to NV next week and though I’d take my little VX-3R along to try to pickup ATC while we are flying. I’ve got ground and tower frequencies for most of the places I’ll be at, but how do I figure out what frequency the flight will be on while talking to the various centers? If I listen from takeoff to landing I assume I should hear a hand-off with the frequency, yes?

Sorry - radios aren’t allowed while the aircraft is flying.

Frequencies are available by going to the airport information page such as flightaware.com/resources/airport/KRNO/summary (replace KRNO with the code of the airport you are interested in)

Damiross…That shows me the approach and departure and tower and ground frequencies. I’m trying to find the frequency for the centers… (e.g. as we fly over the US what frequency will we use to talk to Memphis Center.)

Not to be contrary here, but where do you get your information that radios aren’t allowed while the aircraft is flying? Every time I’ve flown portable electronic devices are allowed… the only thing prohibited are two-way pagers and cell-phones.

Anything that transmits is not permitted to be operated in flight.

Southwest
Continental

All other airlines are similar.

As far as ARTCC frequencies are concerned: Unless you are relatively close (like, next door) to the center, you will find that you can only hear one side of the conversation (i.e. the aircraft’s side). That’s because the frequency is a line of site frequency.

I’m only a few miles from Oakland Center yet all I can hear is the aircraft calling tht center and not the other way around.

freqofnature.com/ has a listing of all types of frequencies, including ARTCC.

I checked most of the airlines, and this sums up what electronics are (or aren’t) allowed during flight (emphasis mine):

During flight, never use cell phones (to make or receive calls), two-way pagers, radios, TV sets, remote controls (example: DVD, CD, game, or toy remote controls), a cordless computer mouse, commercial TV or cameras (I took out GPS because it is hit and miss depending on who you fly on). Radio transmission using personal communications devices (example: walkie-talkies, two-way pagers, or wireless headphones) is prohibited, as it may interfere with the aircraft’s communications and navigation systems. Devices that are not allowed to be activated at any time are those, including e-cigarettes, that could cause damage to equipment or diminish the design, function, or capability of the aircraft.

For ARTCC, I’d be ON the airplane!

Also, remember I don’t plan on transmitting with this device, just listening.

Although I don’t understand the logic behind allowing XM radio, but not FM radio.

Interesting… (we’ve now totally digressed… hehe). I see cameras listed here, yet lots of people use cameras… I guess you can’t be too careful.

And when the nice lady says turn it off and you don’t, you’ll be in jail!
Both Pika1000 and myself have told you that radios are NOT allowed on the aircraft. I even provided a reference that had pictures of stuff that wasn’t allowed to be used.

Again, pretty much the same across the board on this one…

You may use audio and video devices only with a headset. Use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited.

If asked I would definitely turn it off. Just was asking why FM radio wasn’t allowed but XM was… the differentiation doesn’t make sense to me.

Did you even glance at the links I provided? Cameras are permitted above 10,000 feet.

Damiross,
I was replying to pika’s post… check the quote :wink:

What is the source for this quote? I’ve taken many still photos and videos while flying Southwest and have not been stopped once.

AA.com. It was pretty close to MOST.

As a HAM you should know that all modern FM tuners have a PLL front end and are also transmitters, ergo verboten in an aircraft cabin.

Why are XM receivers allowed? Who knows, perhaps the powers-that-be are confused by the fact that it has the word satellite in its name.

:laughing: I think that’s the best answer I’ve heard yet hehe.

You can’t look for logic in these rules, that will just wind up tying you in knots.

After all, we can never forget that using a DVD player in flight on an Alitalia aircraft will cause the wings to fall off. :open_mouth:

NO, NO, NO!!!

It’s the ENGINES…geez. Come on, James! Get it right! :laughing:

Mea culpa Pik.

Now back to your lumber!