Airport Look-up / Frequencies

I can see that FlightAware is on the move. Will the Airport Information feature eventually have its own look-up box on the left along with the others?

Will FlightAware eventually include VHF and UHF frequencies like airnav.com/ does now?

Iden - Northern California

Absolutely. Frequencies, runway information, FBOs, the works.

Will FlightAware eventually include VHF and UHF frequencies like airnav.com/ does now?

They are actually already available, although not directly on the airport page. Open up a departure chart or an airport diagram and you will see the frequencies. Unfortunately, this doesn’t apply to every airport.

Good point. I’m actually surprised about the popularity of frequencies on a web page; what are they used for? I just get the initial frequencies for my departure airport off a DP or airport diagram and am handed off until the end of the flight and only need the frequency of the approach, if appropriate.

Either way, we’ll make sure they’re on there. I imagine it’s useful for listening on a handheld radio.

I’m actually surprised about the popularity of frequencies on a web page; what are they used for?

Probably many of us here are scanner folks – especially if we’re not pilots. Two things really interest a non-pilot:
– To identify a plane you see overhead
– To know where a plane is that you’ve just heard with ATC or the tower, and to know where it’s going and where it’s coming from.

I was out on my patio a few minutes ago and a big 747 thundered slowly by overhead at perhaps 4000 ft. I gave it about 5 minutes and came by the computer to see that it had to be SQC7979 KDFW/EBBR. One wants to jump up and holler “YES!!” [not that I did that, but …]
Btw, who is SQC (Owner Unknown)?

Anyway, the desire for frequency info is to be able to listen to any aspect of radio communication involving flights. Personally, I love to catch “company” frequencies – to hear dispatch, maintenance, even ramp. After that comes the Airinc frequencies to FBOs. And when you hear the radio traffic, don’t you want to find out where the flight is coming in from or going out to? That info is what makes me love FlightAware.com.

Give me a scanner, flight info, and a zoomable map and I’m in heaven … until I hear the Fire Department with a 4-alarm fire a mile down the road. :laughing:

I’m actually surprised about the popularity of frequencies on a web page; what are they used for?

Radio listening hobbyists / scanner listeners find the information of considerable value. Listeners have found airnav.com/ to be very useful in this regard. This includes the Navaid look-ups, Airspace Fix look-ups, and airport searches by state.

I write for Monitoring Times magazine monitoringtimes.com/ and have just submitted the May “Planes” column. Though some time off, it will offer some insights into the listening hobby. I mention FlightAware most favorably and its features in this issue.

For further insights about how involved in listening to aero comms some of us can get, just see the description of the group I created and moderate groups.yahoo.com/group/AirCommSouthwest/ . I have now added FlightAware in the description of the group and encourage it as a topic for discussion among many others.

Iden - Northern California

SQC is Singapore Airlines Cargo (“Sing-cargo”)… we’ll add the name and callsign to the system later today.

Btw, who is SQC (Owner Unknown)

I’m 99% sure that it is Singapore Cargo. However, I can’t find anything to confirm that.