FlightAirMap - watching Your live Data next Level

Maybe just remove the crontab entry and follow this:

_ Init · Ysurac/FlightAirMap Wiki · GitHub

Not quite sure, but worth a try.

After many hours of running as a service rather than a contab, there is still no source statistics.
(In fact, nothing changed).

Can anyone confirm they are seeing their dump1090 statistics in flight air map? How do you navigate to them?
What do they look like?

Are you asking for performance graphs? Don’t think flightairmap includes them.
Do the flightairmap statistics work, like type percentages?

Yes, I am thinking there should be some source stats as there is a check box for them.
Yes, all the other statistics are working as expected.

According the FAQ (Which I only just now found) you have to wait 1 month before site statics show up?

My guess would be that the FAQ just wants to make sure that you configure this option:

$globalArchiveMonths

and set it to more than 1.

But i’m not sure, maybe someone else is using FlightAirMap?
You could try and ask on github i suppose.

Well… I’m stuck. So Skyview is running fine but FlightAirMap just has a spinning circle in detected aircraft. Also, the initial update_db.php failed at the METAR load:

pi@piaware:/var/www/flightairmap/scripts $ sudo ./update_db.php
NOTAM are only updated once a day.
DB are populated with external data only every 15 days ! Files are not updated more often.
Owner are only updated every 15 days.
Airlines are only updated every 15 days.
Updating accidents…Accidents are updated once a day.
updating METAR…Downloading METAR cycle…Done - Updating DB…PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function utf8_encode() in /var/www/flightairmap/require/class.METAR.php:341
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/flightairmap/require/class.METAR.php(413): METAR->addMETAR(‘KRCM’, ‘KRCM 301055Z AU…’, ‘2019-03-30 10:5…’)
#1 /var/www/flightairmap/scripts/update_db.php(100): METAR->addMETARCycle()
#2 {main}
thrown in /var/www/flightairmap/require/class.METAR.php on line 341

So interestingly enough, if I go to http://192.168.1.104/flightairmap/statistics.php, I’ll see stats. So the daemon is running (and I have run it “by hand” and it’s seeing aircraft.) Quite simply the main page will not reflect what is being seen by the pi. Definitely
a config issue but I have no idea where to look.

I have this exact same issue the map shows no planes but the status shows its getting data. did you ever fix this?

1 Like

I did not and never received any ideas as to where to look

1 Like

IS there simple instructions for the install? I am having problems with the DB user and passwords but mainly I want to run this from a separate PI3B and feed from my main PiAware. How can this be done?

So this is a very intriguing subject and post. But like most development posts, there tends to be a lot of swings and roundabouts, as people add to the final product. I am just wondering, for such posts, that every so often, an updated post or link, to the current working script etc, is posted, to make it a little easier for someone just picking up on a development, to benefit from all the hard work and not get too frustrated, trying out the different “try this” and start from the current best method. And this is not just aimed a the current subject, it probably would be a good idea for any new development that tends to extensive exchange of ideas. All praise to the trail blazers on this :slight_smile: :clap::clap::clap:

I have been running this since May this year and installing it was a frustrating combination of reading between the lines in the installation instructions and the various posts and a bit of lateral thinking.

I now have an installation guide that can be edited to give the desired configuration so that the required steps can be copied and pasted straight into the Linux shell to be executed.

On the whole, I would say that it OK but it is frustratingly slow on my Pi 3B, with 3D view being almost unusable and there are a lot of anomalies in the aircraft data.

I only kept it because the Pi isn’t doing anything else and for the statistics, which I think is its best feature.

Part of the difficulty with this is that you can’t edit the first post after a certain time. It means you can’t update it with any changes or developments that happen over time, so have to look through the entire thread for updates.

Got fed up with this on my RPi 3B and migrated to my RPi 4B plus with 4GB.

What a difference!

1 Like

I’ve tried to set it up on a 3B and get rid of it after another 5 Minutes of testing because it’s simply aweful performance.

The 2D map and live data was acceptable but 3D mapping was unusable and the wait for statistics was terrible - at least 40 seconds to get in to view the daily stats!

It does seem a waste of a 4GB 4B though. Maybe I ought to set up ACARS on it as well being as I’ve got a spare RTL-SDR kicking about. I’m sure it would handle it.

1 Like

For testing i’ve set it up on a virtual webserver i have at my hosting provider accessing the data from my Raspi.
This was ok, but i did not see it useful for me

Yeah, it doesn’t bring much to the party in terms of the live map when you’re running Virtual Radar, especially with the errors that crop up.

But I do like being able to find out the most common 'plane types, carriers, routes etc., you are seeing. It is pretty cool.

Things I found:

The ACARS message archive feature didn’t work as expected. I modified it so that it does.

Rather than retaining the last 30 minutes’ worth of records, the current ACARS message feature was clearing entirely after 30 minutes. I modified it so that it always retains the last hours’ worth of records.

The search feature in the header didn’t clear when entering a search term and always entered the search term into the callsign field. I changed it so that the search box is empty and the search term isn’t assigned to any particular field.

In the tables, aircraft were represented using non-clickable thumbnails and airlines were displayed using their logos. I changed it to display clickable text only links showing the registrations and airline names instead.

Moved some stuff around and it now looks like this:

If anyone is interested in trying out my modifications, I can put the files on drop box but I really need to find a better way of getting them onto a system as currently, it involves manually replacing stuff using a command shell.

2 Likes