FlightAware Discussions

Feeder Check-in Delayed

Has anyone else noticed delays on the feeder check-in today? Previously when I refreshed the page, it stated ‘Feeder Check-In: a few seconds ago,’ and now it is more common to show 4 to 5 minutes. I have checked each of my feeders and some local to me, and they all have the same. Is this part of a new change on the back-end, or is there a backlog in the data processing?

I am relatively new to hosting feeders, so if this is ‘normal,’ that is fine. I am just concerned there may be a loss of data due to delays.

Thank you.

I can confirm this.

For both my devices (which are running fine) the stats show a delay of several minutes. Checking the logs locally the connect was made properly a few seconds ago, but it’s also not visible on the stats page.

Checking other feeders in my area of other users showing the same delay.

Just checked mine, it is still updating, but with delays on the stats page. Two minutes ago it stated “5 Minutes”, after checking now again it says “1 minute”

Feeder now says again “5 Minutes ago”.
It’s 08:30 local time and this is the last log:

[2021-03-30 08:24 CEST] mlat-client(32447): Aircraft: 4 of 6 Mode S, 24 of 24 ADS-B used
[2021-03-30 08:24 CEST] mlat-client(32447): Results: 7.5 positions/minute
[2021-03-30 08:24 CEST] mlat-client(32447): Server: 0.0 kB/s from server 0.0kB/s TCP to server 1.2kB/s UDP to server

However the local device says something different and the last update time is correct(It’s an AirSquitter, not a Raspberry with two our time zone difference):

30-03-2021 06:30:39(T) FLAWA: 3D4046 49.78250/ 8.20240/2700  Speed=106 Track=342
30-03-2021 06:30:41(T) FLAWA: 3FF8B4 49.84340/ 8.09820/2489  Speed=78  Track=116
30-03-2021 06:30:41(T) FLAWA: 3FF8B4 49.84340/ 8.09820/2489  Speed=78  Track=116
30-03-2021 06:30:48(T) FLAWA: 3D4046 49.78660/ 8.20060/2701  Speed=105 Track=343
30-03-2021 06:30:48(T) FLAWA: 3D4046 49.78660/ 8.20060/2701  Speed=105 Track=343
30-03-2021 06:30:49(T) FLAWA: 3FF8B4 49.84210/ 8.10190/2499  Speed=79  Track=116
30-03-2021 06:30:49(T) FLAWA: 3FF8B4 49.84210/ 8.10190/2499  Speed=79  Track=116
30-03-2021 06:30:55(T) FLAWA: 3D4046 49.78980/ 8.19900/2701  Speed=104 Track=343
30-03-2021 06:30:55(T) FLAWA: 3D4046 49.78980/ 8.19900/2701  Speed=104 Track=343

Also the status is ok on my device. So i would assume a delay on the web page itself:

EDIT: Downstream is also working properly:

Checkins happen every 5 mins, so it’s normal for the last checkin to be up to 5 mins old.

That is correct, but in the past the message always showed “a few seconds ago” and not the real last checkin as now

This is expected. We’ve made a backend change to address previously seen inconsistencies which will make the “Last Checkin” time more accurate.

1 Like

Ok, thank you for confirming it is an expected change.

For troubleshooting purposes then, is anything longer than 5 minutes cause to investigate? Or would you recommend a longer interval?

I never check before 5 minutes, mostly after 10 minutes.

Thanks, this now let me sleep again more quiet :slight_smile:

You can access the logs from your device in the stats page. Sometimes it takes longer than 5 Minutes which doesn’t indicate an issue.

This is my log just a few seconds ago:

[2021-03-31 10:09 CEST] 326799 msgs recv'd from rcd (672 in last 5m); 326798 msgs sent to FlightAware
[2021-03-31 10:10 CEST] mlat-client(32447): Server: 0.1 kB/s from server 0.0kB/s TCP to server 1.5kB/s UDP to server
[2021-03-31 10:10 CEST] mlat-client(32447): Aircraft: 4 of 9 Mode S, 33 of 34 ADS-B used
[2021-03-31 10:10 CEST] mlat-client(32447): Receiver status: connected
[2021-03-31 10:10 CEST] mlat-client(32447): Results: 33.3 positions/minute
[2021-03-31 10:19 CEST] 328645 msgs recv'd from rcd (979 in last 5m); 328644 msgs sent to FlightAware

You can see that the difference is 10 minutes there, but it works without issues.
I would get concerned if it exceeds 20 Minutes or more