FAA Sectional chart as map in dump1090 web interface

If you would like to have FAA sectional chart (as well as other FAA charts) as the background in dump1090 local web interface here are a few simple steps to do that:

1. Backup your script.js in /usr/share/dump1090/public_html folder (a better idea is to backup the whole publick_html folder)
  2. Open the script.js file for editing (you will need sudo permission for that)
  3. Find the

mapTypeIds.push("dark_map");

1. Copy and paste the line and modify so it will looks like

mapTypeIds.push("ChartBundle");

1. Find the

//Define OSM map type pointing at the OpenStreetMap tile server
	GoogleMap.mapTypes.set("OSM", new google.maps.ImageMapType({
		getTileUrl: function(coord, zoom) {
			return "http://tile.openstreetmap.org/" + zoom + "/" + coord.x + "/" + coord.y + ".png";
		},
		tileSize: new google.maps.Size(256, 256),
		name: "OpenStreetMap",
		maxZoom: 18
	}));

section
6. Insert the following immediately after above mentioned section:

//Define ChartBundle map type pointing at the OpenStreetMap tile server
	// 'sec' can be replaced with sec wac tac enrl enra enrh secgrids wacgrids tacgridsto show different maps
	GoogleMap.mapTypes.set("ChartBundle", new google.maps.ImageMapType({
		getTileUrl: function(coord, zoom) {
			return "http://wms.chartbundle.com/tms/1.0.0/sec/" + zoom + "/" + coord.x + "/" + coord.y + ".png?origin=nw";
		},
		tileSize: new google.maps.Size(256, 256),
		name: "ChartBundle",
		maxZoom: 18
	}));

1. Save the script.js file.
  2. Open (or reload) the local dump1090 web interface.
  3. Select ChartBundle from the dropdown box in the upper left corner of the map.

As you may noticed in the comment section the “sec” statement in the link “http://wms.chartbundle.com/tms/1.0.0/sec/” + zoom + “/” + coord.x + “/” + coord.y + “.png?origin=nw”; can be changed to the following:
sec - "Sectional Charts"
tac - "Terminal Area Charts"
wac - "World Aeronautical Charts"
enrl - "IFR Enroute Low Charts"
enra - "IFR Area Charts"
enrh - "IFR Enroute High Charts"
secgrids - "Sectional Charts with Grid"
tacgrids - "Terminal Area Charts with Grid"
wacgrids - “World Aeronautical Charts with Grid”

I will leave it to the java script gurus to figure out how to incorporate all the choices into the dropdown box.

And many thanks to the Cartbundle team at wms.chartbundle.com/charts/tms.html for making their services available.

P.S. If you are using the PiAware version of the dump1090 you may need to consider changing the default airplane marker colors as it is somewhat difficult to spot them on the sectional chart. Something like

MarkerColor	  = "rgb(51, 255, 51)";
MlatMarkerColor	  = "rgb(255, 51, 255)";
SelectedColor = "rgb(51, 255, 255)";

in the config.js

Awesome job. I was thinking of someway to mark airspace/vors etc. But this… this is much better.

Thanks!

Hi,
this only seems to work for USA, do you know how to get charts for the rest of the world?? In particular Hong Kong,
thanks,
Mick

Nice! Does it work with dump1090-mutability?

Yes, just tested it.

developers.google.com/maps/docu … ol-options

Marty

This is pretty neat. Thanks!

The only site I know which have world wide coverage is SkyVector ( skyvector.com/forum/ability-display-other-apps ) their maps can be integrated in other applications only via paid subscription.

A side note - it is appears that FAA is the only aviation authority which made digital charts available for free. All other authorities require a purchase (and in some extreme cases per device purchase), so as the result there is no websites (at least I did not found any) which offer world wide offline and/or integrated charts for free.

Hmmm… I think that the script above is doing exactly what is on the page you referenced. What I was hoping the “java scripts guru” can do is to integrate all available choices from ChartBundle into the drop down menu without cloning code in step 6 multiple times (I did this for testing purposes, but it is not an elegant solution from my point of view).

This is very cool. Thanks! I never used that dark map.

I generalized this a bit and added support for the various chart types to 1.15~dev.
They are configured out of config.js and it’s easy to add new map sources that follow the same pattern - just add the right URL pattern to config.js ExtraMapTypes.

That is what I call an elegant solution! :exclamation:
Thank you Oliver!

How can this work in v3?