End of an Era. B720

Pratt & Whitney’s Boeing 720 took it’s last flight today, from CYHU to a museum in CYTR.

See: flightaware.com/live/flight/PWC720

This was the last commercially registered 720 in existance. It will be displayed at the Canadian Air and Space Museum at Trenton, Ontario. Amongst others, it was the testbed for the PT6 engine for many years, and the configuration mounting can be seen in this Flightaware photo:

flightaware.com/photos/view/113 … tes/page/1

Sad to see Pinnochio, as he/she was nicknamed, go. :cry:

Regardless of name, aircraft, like ships (in most countries) are often referred to has “she”.

I remember my one and only 720 flight. I flew from LAX to HNL via ITO. The timetable indicated a 707 but I was pleasantly surprised to see WA567 was operated by N3165, a B720-047B. This aircraft, CN 19438, was first flew on 8/11/67 and entered service with WA on one week later on 8/18/67. I flew it on 4/24/78. The aircraft served Western faithfully until about 9/79. Finkel Aviation got it 11/79 and stored it at VNY. It donated its parts to KC-135’s at DMA in around 03/83. Sadly, it’s no longer in existence.

This link shows N3165 at SAN

WA: Western
LAX: Los Angeles International
HNL: John Rodgers Field/Honolulu International
ITO: Hilo
VNY: Van Nuys
DMA: Davis-Monthan AFB
SAN: San Diego Lindbergh Field

Pratt & Whitney Canada’s trusty Boeing 720B Flying Test Bed (FTB1), dubbed “Red” because of its hallmark red and white livery, ceremoniously tipped its wings during low-pass flybys over St-Hubert, Longueuil and Mirabel facilities on Wednesday, May 9. Having spent much of its time at P&WC’s Plant 5 in St-Hubert testing and certifying PT6 engines, the aircraft will now enjoy a well-deserved retirement, and eventual permanent display, at the National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton, Ontario.

Read more on the Boeing 720B Flying Test Bed on PT6 Nation
Visit PT6 Nation’s Facebook page for more coverage

Regards, Vincent.
PT6 Nation’s Community Manager