Enabling bias-t for RTL-SDR dongle on Raspberry Pi OS

Got an RTL-SDR dongle recently, and since their own pre-amp isn’t ever in stock, I decided to get the Uputronics preamp instead.

That claims it can be powered with Bias-T, and the RTL-SDR dongle can also supply Bias-T power, but so far most of the tutorials I’ve seen to enable Bias-T are for RPIs running only the PiAware image, but my RPi runs Raspberry Pi OS as I use it for other stuff as well.

How would I go about activating Bias-T for the dongle, and ensuring it survives reboots / power losses?

3 Likes

Thanks, I get this from dump1090-fa after installing the script:

dump1090-fa.service - dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization)
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dump1090-fa.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
  Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/dump1090-fa.service.d
           └─bias-t.conf
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2021-04-18 15:52:01 PKT; 23s ago
     Docs: https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/
  Process: 1054 ExecStartPre=/usr/local/share/adsb-wiki/biastee/rtl_biast/build/src/rtl_biast -b 1 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 1059 ExecStart=/usr/share/dump1090-fa/start-dump1090-fa --write-json /run/dump1090-fa --quiet (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 1065 ExecStopPost=/usr/local/share/adsb-wiki/biastee/rtl_biast/build/src/rtl_biast -b 0 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 1059 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

The actual log for dump1090-fa would be useful.

Debug commands · wiedehopf/adsb-wiki Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Here:

Unrelated to the biastee.

Apr 18 15:57:28 MSRPI dump1090-fa[1300]: Error opening the listening port 30003 (Basestation TCP output): bind: Address already in use

Typically means you have another dump1090 or fr24feed listening on 30003.
This will tell you what it is:

sudo netstat -tlpen | grep 30003
1 Like

You were right, it was fr24feed. Fixed it.

Thanks for the script, was super easy to install.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.