Easiest way to add 978

What is the easiest way to add 978? I have a Pro stick + on a PI 4 running the Piaware image with FR24 and rbfeeder piggybacked. I have an orange Pro sick and dual band filter sitting here and would like to add 978UAT coverage.

Quote from ā€œPiaware SD card image 3.8.0 Quickstart Guideā€

3 Likes

Quick question, but how do you assign the correct ā€œserial numberā€ to the correct radio? For example running a blue pro stick+ and orange pro stick you would want the blue on 1090 and orange on 978?

Thanks,
Chris

This will explain:

1 Like

Thanksā€¦ Worked great!

Thanks Mark, that explains it.

Just wondering, how do you get two pro stick dongles on a Raspberry Pi? The Orange one I have blocks the remaining 3 USB ports.

You will need a USB extension.

I purchased these USB Extension on Amazon. Four (4) for $9.99 USD. Fairly short, 15cm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GA1GKYW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Removing the plastic cover is another possibility.

3 Likes

OK, next newbie question, where does one find a 978 Mhz dongle? I have searched for one and have come up short.

The orange one you have works for both 1090 & 978 mhz, as it does not have a built-in filter. You may need to add Flightaware light blue filter depending on rf noise at your location.

Alternatively, a dongle with builtin 978 filter
https://www.amazon.com/AirNav-RadarBox-FlightStick-UAT-Integrated/dp/B083JJG4LC

1 Like

OK, so I began the 978 setup and got fairly far on my Pi with the Orange FlightStick. I see the UAT 978 on my Site page but the counts are zero. The following is the output from piaware-status

pi@piaware2:/var/log$ piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 479.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is running with pid 1596.
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is not running.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is running with pid 1543.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090-fa) is running with pid 1307.
Local ADS-B UAT receiver (dump978) is not running.

dump1090-fa (pid 1307) is listening for ES connections on port 30005.
no program appears to be listening for UAT connections on port 30978.
faup1090 is connected to the ADS-B receiver.
faup978 is NOT connected to the ADS-B UAT receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.

got ā€˜couldnā€™t open socket: connection refusedā€™
dump978 is NOT producing data on localhost:30978.
dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005.

Not sure where to go from here, any ideas?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

This is the main problem.

Are you trying to set up a 978-only site, or a dual 1090 & 978 site? If youā€™re trying to set up a dual site, do you have two dongles connected and did you serialize them?

I am trying to setup a dual site. I only have the one orange dongle. So I misunderstood that you could run 978 on the orange stick or is it that you canā€™t run a dual all on the one dongle?

@JohnTuthill

Please see this:

OK, good to know, I ordered one, it should be here tomorrow. Any additional advice on getting this setup? And I appreciate the help, thank you

Serialize two dongles as follows (8-digit):
Dongle for 1090 Mhz Serial#: 00001090
Dongle for 978 Mhz Serial # : 00000978

Please see this guide:

1 Like

Perfect, thank you. It is amazing how answers seem to always create more questions. I am not sure if I have a SD image or a Raspbian image. I believe I install PiAware using apt-get, but donā€™t remember because it was a couple of years ago. Any easy way to tell?

If in SSH window (PuTTY) you see:

• pi@piaware:~ $
    Then it is Piaware SD card image.

• pi@raspberrypi:~ $
    Then it is Raspbian image (now renamed to Raspberry Pi OS)