Dump1090 not running after upgrade to 8.1

pi@piaware:~ $ piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 559.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is not running.
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is running with pid 3776.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is not running.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090) is not running.
Local ADS-B UAT receiver (dump978-fa) is running with pid 2399.

no program appears to be listening for ES connections on port 30005.
dump978-fa (pid 2399) is listening for UAT connections on port 30978.
faup1090 is NOT connected to the ADS-B receiver.
faup978 is connected to the ADS-B UAT receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.

got 'couldn't open socket: connection refused'
dump1090 is NOT producing data on localhost:30005.
dump978 is producing data on localhost:30978.

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo apt-cache policy piaware
piaware:
  Installed: 8.1~bpo10+1
  Candidate: 8.1~bpo10+1
  Version table:
 *** 8.1~bpo10+1 500
        500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages buster/piaware armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo apt-cache policy dump1090-fa
dump1090-fa:
  Version table:
 *** 8.1~bpo10+1 500
        500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages buster/piaware armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo apt-cache policy dump978-fa
dump978-fa:
  Version table:
 *** 8.1~bpo10+1 500
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I’m not sure what happened, both dongles were working after the upgrade but before the reboot. The 1090 stopped after I rebooted. I have reconnected the 1090 usb dongle and plugged it back in. I have reboot several times.

Any advice? or should I just start over from the beginning?

Thanks

Is your your dongle still equipped with the serial number ? or is piaware trying to grab the same dongle twice and thus failing since it is already in use by dump978-fa ?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
I disconnected the 978 dongle and dump1090 started running again.

So it seems I may have lost the serial numbers for the dongles.

After breakfast I’ll see if I can find the commands to check and set it if needed.

Edit:
Both devices still had their respective serial numbers.
I swapped usb slots that the dongles were plugged into. dump1090 and dump978 are now running.

pi@piaware:~ $ rtl_test -t
Found 2 device(s):
  0:  Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00000978
  1:  Realtek, RTL2832U, SN: 00001090

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

pi@piaware:~ $ piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 539.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is running with pid 976.
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is running with pid 2982.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is running with pid 1305.
Local ADS-B receiver (dump1090-fa) is running with pid 527.
Local ADS-B UAT receiver (dump978-fa) is running with pid 2035.

dump1090-fa (pid 527) is listening for ES connections on port 30005.
dump978-fa (pid 2035) is listening for UAT connections on port 30978.
faup1090 is connected to the ADS-B receiver.
faup978 is connected to the ADS-B UAT receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.

dump978 is producing data on localhost:30978.
dump1090 is producing data on localhost:30005.

Not sure what happened, thanks for the point in the right direction.

1 Like

Seems during upgrade, the serialization settings of piiaware were lost. If this is the case, then even if it is now working ok, in any of future reboots, the problem may reccur.

It is better to issue config commands to restore serialization settings of piaware, and prevent this happening in future reboots.

The serialization config commands are given bellow:

sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-device-index 00001090  

sudo piaware-config uat-sdr-device driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978  

# Reboot Pi to implement configuration settings
sudo reboot  

piaware-config shows they are still serialized:

pi@piaware:~ $ piaware-config
adaptive-dynamic-range         no                             # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:96
allow-auto-updates             yes                            # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:67
allow-manual-updates           yes                            # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:71
allow-mlat                     yes                            # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:75
allow-modeac                   yes                            # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:79
feeder-id                      ou812                          # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:84
image-type                     piaware                        # value set at /usr/share/piaware-support/piaware-image-config.txt:5
manage-config                  yes                            # value set at /usr/share/piaware-support/piaware-image-config.txt:4
network-config-style           buster                         # value set at /usr/share/piaware-support/piaware-image-config.txt:6
rfkill                         yes                            # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:95
rtlsdr-device-index            00001090                       # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:86
rtlsdr-gain                    43.4                           # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:60
uat-receiver-type              sdr                            # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:85
uat-sdr-device                 driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978  # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:87
uat-sdr-gain                   28.0                           # value set at /boot/piaware-config.txt:94

Great.
That means problem was most likely bad connection of one of the dongles at USB port of Pi, and unplugging-replugging resoved it.

I agree.

But, how does a reboot trigger a poor connection? I had also replugged both dongles when the problem first happened before I started this thread

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.