DOT announced its intention to eliminate the Block Aircraft

Did I miss this somewhere else? If not, this sounds like huge news for FA:

faa.gov/news/press_releases/ … wsId=12743

The public will soon have greater access to on-line information about the flight paths of general aviation aircraft, U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced today. The change will be effective 60 days from publication in the Federal Register.

In the future, the only way operators and owners of general aviation aircraft will be able to block displays of their flight information is by providing the FAA written certification that revealing this to the public would pose a valid security threat.
Today’s amendment makes final a proposal issued on March 1.

Apologies if this was posted already but I didn’t see it right away.

I think it was in Squawks the other day. There’s conflicting language in the FAA reauthorization working it’s way through congress. Hard to say which way it will go.

The people in congress who are against unblocking are likely the ones who are secretly flying to vacations using up all our money lol
[/rant]
Seriously though… I hope it goes through. My little KSEE here would light up its tracking page nicely.

Here’s another article:
http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2011/110531dot_dismantles_aircraft_operators_basic_privacy_rights.html?WT.mc_id=ebrief

Seriously…win!!