Daily Log/E-Mail Aircraft Report directly on your RaspberryPi

Just by the way „ac_counter“ is the greatest thing since the invention of chocolate :wink:

Joking aside.

Since one year the script is running and makes me happy!!

My database grows and my private sky view of Dump 1090 is up to date.

2 Likes

Bit of a bump but I think I’m going to give this a try - Is the script in the very first post the latest version?

AFAIK the latest version can be found on GitHub: GitHub - TomMuc1/Dump1090-Daily-Aircraft-Report: short script that reports daily aircrafts from dump1090

After reading the “read me” file this required Dump 1090 Mutability. I dont have that installed. I am using Dump 3.7.0.1 fa.

Yup, I’m the same, I have dump1090-fa so I wonder what changes are needed. @TomMuc, can you advise please.

1 Like

I Use the @TomMuc Daily Aircraft Report with dump1090-fa and Works perfect.

1 Like

Did you need to make any tweaks to the script as it appears to have been written for dump1090-mutabilty which I believe stores files in a different directory.

This program looks cool to have but until I see a confirmation that this will work with DUMP1090-fa I will wait.

Let’s check. I’m on dump1090-fa 3.6.3:

pi@rpi3:~/tmp $ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TomMuc1/Dump1090-Daily-Aircraft-Report/master/ac_counter.php

pi@rpi3:~/tmp $ chmod +x ac_counter.php

pi@rpi3:~/tmp $ ./ac_counter.php
upt(us): 0006185 - 1.000000 loops/s avg - since 0 days 00:00:00 - run 0 => 0015 aircraft(s) @ 15 msg today
upt(us): 0006234 - 1.000000 loops/s avg - since 0 days 00:00:01 - run 1 => 0021 aircraft(s) @ 27 msg today
upt(us): 0006357 - 1.000000 loops/s avg - since 0 days 00:00:02 - run 2 => 0022 aircraft(s) @ 39 msg today
upt(us): 0006503 - 1.000000 loops/s avg - since 0 days 00:00:03 - run 3 => 0027 aircraft(s) @ 54 msg today

Yep. Confirmed. Pretty noisy too, with a line every second.
FYI I have not tested the email functionality because I like my installation clean & lean, so no Sendmail.

1 Like

I’ve installed it on one of my trackers with the FA image and when I ran it as above, I get a reading so that’s good.

I’ve carried on with the setup, installed sendmail and added the service, put my email address in the config file and changed the PASSWORD to be my Pi login password (I assume that’s what I’m supposed to do). Set the test field to true and restarted the service but I’ve not seen any emails arrive.

I can see zip files appearing in ~/ac_counter_log so it’s getting that far.

Not sure how to fault-find this.

Have you altered the part of the script where it sends the email?
If not, then it sends the email at midnight.

No, I enabled test mode which sends three emails at around 1 minute, 2 minutes and 3 minutes after starting the service and I can see the files have been generated, just never delivered.

So either your Rpi works as a mail server in which case it is very likely that your mail goes to spam or the email server of your provider doesn’t even talk to the RPi.

Otherwise you would need to setup SMTP.
(pi login password makes no sense in this context.)

Which password did you change anyway i don’t see a passwork anywhere in that script.

I have DUMP 1090-fa 3.0.7.1 and I went here and followed the instructions. GitHub - TomMuc1/Dump1090-Daily-Aircraft-Report: short script that reports daily aircrafts from dump1090
When I get to the line sudo chmod 755 /home/pi/ac_counter.php
I get a error that this file does not exist.

You forgot that part. (probably)

1 Like

Line 34

I’m pretty sure nothing is going into any spam folders.

That’s for a database, not for email.

Aye, I know that - I didn’t know what it wanted, whether it was effectively connecting back into the Pi, which is why I gave it the Pi login password.

I can’t see anywhere that it’s asking for smtp login details so I struggle to see how it works. It does say one should give a gmail address - I’ve tried with both an @gmail.com address and one I have which is Google Apps (or whatever it’s called these days) and neither received anything and nothing went into spam.

:confused:

Thing is the google mail server might not even put it into the spam folder.
It just doesn’t want to talk to your Raspberry Pi and says: go home!

Could you check if mailq is installed by Sendmail and has something to report in the mail queue? And logfiles like /var/log/mail.log?
I’m pretty sure you’ll have to do some upstream authentication against a forwarding / relaying mail server.
I would have installed SSMTP instead of the “feature-rich” Sendmail, but that’s a different look at things.
For SSMTP see sSMTP - ArchWiki