Continental and its 737-800s

Ive noticed that when I look at pictures of continentals 737-800 at one of my favorate sites (airliners.net) I have noticed that continental has more than 2 types of 737-800 aircraft. If you visit this site youll notice that in the picture the windows are arranged diferently in the outside and less seats in the inside as well. I know 737-800 is my favorate aircraft but what I dont know is that there is more than just 1 type of 737-800, and if im right about more types of 737-800 wich Im sure I am- why the hell did they invent 737-600-700-900. Like in the pictures the 737-800 with less windows are smaller than the other bigger type.

Also, Im sorry that I dont have the website in that thingie where you click it and it leads you to the site. (People dont tell me how to do those cool stuffin here. They would just say ITS MAGIC

The Boeing 737 Technical Site has a lot of information on the 737. Look at the history section for information on the variants.

Many aircraft manufacturers develop different version of their aircraft. This allows airlines to have more flexibility in scheduling aircraft. For example, if an airline wanted to fly 5 flights a day between A and B, it may schedule a 737-700 with, say,149 seats for some flights to match the demand and schedule a 737-800 with, say, 189 seats to match the demand of the other flights.

Continental has 3 configurations for its 737-800’s. This may account for the different window counts:
16 First/141 Coach seats
16 First/144 Coach seats
20 First/132 Coach seats with mid-cabin lavatory

One site you should go to will give you the official information on the 737: 737 family

Also, the 737-800 is a very flexible aircraft. I’m willing to bet that the ones with the 20 F seats fly longer higher yield routes like EWR-SFO while the higher density/fewer F seat ones fly lower yield routes like IAH-TPA

Also, Im sorry that I dont have the website in that thingie where you click it and it leads you to the site. (People dont tell me how to do those cool stuffin here. They would just say ITS MAGIC

What a slap in the face.

The stretched aircraft have always done better on low yield routes. If you look at Northwest and Continental, almost all of their 757-300’s are flying to Orlando, Las Vegas and Hawaii.

:open_mouth: 149 seats on a 737-700…talk about having your knees ion your chest.

Depends if it’s one class or two; in a single class that offers 32-33" pitch (Southwest).

remember the vacation that i took? Well when I was in the airplanes I saw a whole buch of 737-800s that belongs to the Continental fleet. It turns out te be that they only have one type of 737-800. one side has more windows than the other side for example .=window o=emergency door (window included)

right side …00… …

left side …00… . …

I know is hard to count the dots so you dont have to. my point is one side has more windows than the other.

Couple weeks ago United (and then Delta) boned me on a cancelled flight and I had to take Continental home from EWR to SFO. Boeing 757-300.

Joe

I wonder if they make money on their transcons. Everyone thinks they are big money makers, but the cost per seat mile is so low that there is no prestige in these routes, beyond maybe carrying a few celebs.

Transcontinental flights have a lot of business travelers.

The airlines want a low cost per seat mile. Did you mean the yield was low? In an ideal world, the airlines would have very low cost per seat mile and very high yield (i.e. revenue) per seat mile.

I was watching a series on American Airlines and they said that on one featured flight (JFK-LAX) that they made about 200 dollars. In fact, if it wasn’t for biz and first, that route would be a huge money loser but then again, how many are actually paying for those premium seats?

A lot more pay for those seats on high profile transcon flights than your typical shorter domestic flight where much of the F cabin is made up of award tickets and upgrades.

A few weeks back I read, I believe in the WSJ, that Jet Blue claims that it costs $286 dollars per passenger for fuel on a flight from the west coast to the east coast on such routes as Long Beach to Bos. Because of that they were cutting back on some of their trans cons.