Combining multiple receivers into one map - Combine1090

[Update - my bad, didn’t realize there was another service combine1090-dump that needed to be restarted, found that in another thread on googling some more…]

I just installed combine1090 as I have one main Raspberry Pi with piaware running dump1090-fa feeding FlightAware. One issue is that local airport flights are “too loud” and overload the dongle and cannot be tracked properly. So I have a second Raspberry Pi that I have configured with very low sensitivity, and I put combine1090 on the main receiver so I can get its map with the combined feed and can now see both near and far flights.

However, it appears the JSON_OPTIONS=“–json-location-accuracy 2” is not being handled properly by combine1090. It’s behaving as if it is set to 1 as my location is not correct on the map. I have the same setting in both dump1090-fa config files and also the combine1090 config but it is still wrong. I’ve tried adding the lat/lon to combine1090 with no effect either.

Can you please check the logic for handling this value?

Thanks,
Erik

MLAT won’t work if you feed combined data.
So it’s preferrable to install piaware on both devices and only use the combined data for display purposes.

The location has been solved if i understand correctly.

I’m not trying to feed the combined stream, the intent was only for viewing (at /combine1090). The secondary device is not intended to feed as I just use it for experimentation and in this case I wanted to try combining it at low sensitivity to get the local planes better as well as distant targets on the same map as the local airport flights often come very near and I would get a lot of dashed lines before the signal was not overloading any more. I ran the default combine1090 installer on my feeder device and added the secondary in SOURCES.

As for MLAT maybe it’s not working properly; I thought combine1090 would just give me a separate display and not affect the feed, can that be accomplished?

Yes, it was just restarting the other service after changing 1->2 that was the issue.

Thanks for the app, it’s been something I’ve wanted to look into for some time, will have to look more into how it’s actually doing this and what the various ports are, perhaps to see if we have any 978 UAT traffic around to mix in.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to transfer data from the VRS server to combine1090 ?
so far I have not succeeded.

Could I use this if I wanted to combine the feed of 1 high gain and 1 low gain antenna (and disable MLAT on one of them?)

Just run 2 feed clients and use this only for display.

Can combine1090 work with a feeder in basestation format? I’d like to be able to use it with dumphfdl if I could, so I could get the much nicer tar1090-like interface and maps. VRS’s maps don’t work very well for a global view.

1 Like

Try to merge and convert data with modesmixer Automated Installation of ModeSMixer2 & ModeSDeco2 on RPi

Thanks. So far I haven’t been able to get modesmixer to convert dumphfdl’s basestation output on port 20005 to beast format on 20006 (assuming different ports are required.) I don’t know if I need modesmixer or modesdeco or both. I’ll play with it some more tomorrow after I read the entire modesmixer thread.

1 Like

readsb has a basestation input.
I’ve changed combine1090 defautls to open the port.

remove the combine1090 configuration:

sudo rm -f /etc/default/combine1090

Run the install for combine1090 again.
Push basestation data into 29109 for them to stay on the map for 45 mins (they will be marked ADS-C … you’ll have to overlook that).
Push basestation data into 29106 for them to stay on the map normally … they will time out after a minute or so.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s much easier than trying to convert the data format. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

One thing I see: I have dumphfdl’s --freq-as-squawk option enabled. In VRS it shows the frequency in KHz in the squawk column but in combine1090’s tar1090 screen it shows usually nothing, but sometimes shows b306 or d270. It seems like readsb is limited to 4-digit squawks? Freqs in KHz from 10MHz and up would be 5-digit.

I’ve searched but couldn’t find any answers so hopefully posting this here will help…thanks in advance!

I’ve got multiple receivers sending data to combine1090; the receivers are spread out across the USA.

I’ve noticed the same plane start at one airport and then I’ll see it at another airport where one of my other receivers is.

But the track is not displayed from the first airport in combine1090; it only shows the track starting from where ever the 2nd receiver picked up its signal.

Is there a reason the tracks would not persist over a large region?

Or rather, is there a way to get my tracks to persist over large regions, similar to how flightaware or adsbx shows?

Thank you!

It’s a bit more complicated and i don’t offer support for it: https://github.com/wiedehopf/tar1090#0800-destroy-sd-card

I suppose just adding --write-json-globe-index in the json ptions in /etc/default/combine1090 and restarting combine1090-dump service should do the trick.
If you run an up to date combine1090 install, it’s backed by readsb anyhow.

Now this will not give you historic traces but rather 24h of traces for each plane, loaded only when you click them.

OK, I will give it a try this weekend at some point and report back here in case anyone else is trying to accomplish something similar.

Thank you very much!

Simply adding “–write-json-globe-index” to the end of the JSON options (within the quotes) did the trick. See screenshot. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Obviously my antennas have some range issues but good enough for me!

One more question…just so I’m clear, this is storing additional files on my computer? Or is that only if I create a directory for them? This will only store for 24hr and auto-delete?

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for the solution!

this is only in memory. (/run/combine1090-dump)

Right on…many thanks for the help!

Quick query - any reason why this wouldn’t work to combine data from two raspberry Pi, on a third Linux box running without an ADS-B receiver on it? My two Pi are relatively old and shifting the memory consumption of the combined interface onto a slightly beefier machine is tempting.

That’s exactly what combine1090 is for.

I gotta say, the post you deleted with confirmation of the config process was a tad more helpful than just “yes”, but thanks anyway.