FlightAware Discussions

Multiple recievers on plot map?

Hi all,

I now have two recievers running - one in the south of England, one in the North.

I understand that switching between stations on fA or RadarBox etc will show me the individual plots / range for each receiver, but I’d like to combine them in to a single live / polygon map to show my overall coverage of the UK from both receivers together (I have a goal of covering the entire UK!).

IS it possible to:

a) Add the second station to an existing one, so that the UI will show both, at the “service” level (i.e fA / RadarBox etc - RB have confirmed its not, for them).

b) Combine the two feeds at the data feed level, so as far as the service is concerned its a single feed (albeit from two locations).

c) Do this locally on my Pi (currently running ADSBReceiver image).

Thanks

C

I have tried that and the timing differences make impossible MLAT at that time.

If your goal is only to see all the planes locally, and feed them separately to FA/FR24, thus keeping the MLAT, it can be done. You need to add a virtual network so they are all on the same network, I have used for that https://www.zerotier.com/

After you have them on the same network, you can either combine them on a third Pi running in net-only mode (on that virtual network) or on a PC using something more advanced like Virtual Radar Server.

http://xdeco.org/?page_id=48

If the second (least critical ) dump1090 feeds modeSMixer2 without timing information then this should work.
Use AVR (port 30001) for this.

I do this with UAT 978. I have two antennas (and two dongles) that feed one dump1090 instance.

Note that he asked about two receivers that are in physically different locations (not same network). That’s why the first step is to “join” them in the same network.

Thanks all - lot to look into there, but looks like it’ll do the trick!

I’ll have a go - ta :slight_smile:

@SoNic67

When you say “virtual network” - I assume we’re talking VPN?

Havent looked at those on Pi’s yet, especially in that way - though that’ll certainly be my next area of research, both in terms of remote access and the method you suggest above. (Currently using Weaved for remote).

Not just a VPN, ZeroTier is VPN, SDN, and SD-WAN with a single system.

Thanks @SoNic67 - I’ve been working in digital marketing for 15 years (so I know a fair bit), but I’ve only ever heard of two of those acronyms - resarch time!

Always keen to learn new things, so thanks for the pointers :slight_smile:

Hamachi VPN:

Pricing. Hamachi is free for up to 5 computers in your network. If you run Hamachi as a service in unattended mode, you can choose from our subscription packages below.

Hamachi for Linux on ARM is in Beta stage. The Zero Tier is also free for 100 devices and it’s open source. Hamachi is not.