China Domestic Flights from ZBAA

Hello.
I have checked previous posts and Q&A and have not seen this posted previously. If I missed it and am repeating then I apologize. What I have here is not really a Bug I guess but more of an oversight on the part of your programmers

I just began using your service today in order to check the status of my wife’s flight from Beijing to Shenzhen, China. A Domestic flight inside China. However when I check departure and arrival info for Beijing ZBAA the only flight info that comes up is the international. Why is this?? :confused:

I have lived here in China for the last nine years and as my wife travels at least two and a half weeks out of every month on domestic flights it would really be helpful to be able to check on these flights.

Oh yes, Happy New Year!

Thanks,
Bob C
Captain :slight_smile:
East Asia Airlines Helicopters & HeliExpress,
Macao/Hong Kong

Try looking at the FAQs and the forum again. The postings in the forum may or may not have a title that you are expecting (e.g. a posting that starts out discussing Cessna 172s may grow into one discussing international flights).

The flight data is from the FAA. That, by definition, eliminates domestic flights in China because those flights are never handled by the FAA. If you notice, the flights from ZBAA are, as you know, international flights, but they are flights to/from the USA and Canada.

“…oversight on the part of your programmers”
“A Domestic flight inside China.”

maybe this site should be retitled US Flightaware to avoid confusion!

Actually it is nice to see newbie questions being handled more delicately since a big discussion on this a while back; good show to all for being patient to newcomers and I reckon it makes the site look even more professional (and user friendly).

As an aside with Chinese delivery flights (amongst others), RobK raised an issue with deliveries out of Boeing airfields not tracking as the airlines were not input the data feed requests - was this ever resolved satisfactorily (Rob)?

see topic
discussions.flightaware.com/view … highlight=

BR IN (UK)

Nee How Ma!

The short of it, only Canada / United States domestic flights are tracked by Flightaware using FAA / NAV Canada obtained information. This also includes international flights coming to and departing from Canada / Unites States.

The European Union does not share flight tracking information with the general public. As for Asian countries, I’m not sure.

So no oversight, the info does not exist.

Ni Hau, and Dou Xie, (Hello & many thanks) for answering my Newbie query in such a timely and polite manner.
I agree with the poster above who said maybe the sight should be called US flight aware instead though. Sorry.
As an American living abroad it gets terribly frustrating dealing with US based web sites that although they are on the WORLD wide web they seem to think the only people who will be looking at their site are in the US. :angry:
Again, I appreciate the time spent to formulate the responces. However you shall not see me here again. Coverage of US Flights only just doesn’t cut it for me. My sole reason for signing up for this site was to track Chinese domestic flights.
Zai Jian
Bob

The USA is one of the few countries where private industry can get the data needed to power a site such as FlightAware. Other countries, especially those with dictators in charge, would not allow FlightAware to operate. You should know: China isn’t exactly the world’s best example of allowing its people to have knowledge that the state doesn’t want it to have. They severely limit what can be seen on the WORLD wide web.

As an American living abroad it gets terribly frustrating dealing with US based web sites that although they are on the WORLD wide web they seem to think the only people who will be looking at their site are in the US

Being a European I do sympathise with this and am grateful for the freedom of information that flows from the States but it can get overly US-centric at times. Understandable I guess considering the source but as you said it is being viewed all over the world now.

BobnMing - hang around the forums a while longer, nice to have another professional in the ranks and your knowledge could help others.
Sk76 driver?

Cheers IN (UK)

Sorry, but IMHO, that is freaking ridiculous. How many German, Chinese, Japanese, Russian sites can we find that deal with things that deal with just their respective countries? You mean to tell me you didn’t get a little bit of a clue on the homepage when all it shows is A MAP OF THE US?? Saying that they should change the name to “US FlightAware” is re-$*#damn-diculous. And could you be a little bit more condescending when you say “Coverage of US Flights only just doesn’t cut it for me. My sole reason…”? Come on. With that kind of attitude out of the gate, good riddance.

For all newbies checking this, I apologize for my frustrations coming out in this post, but as you can see, this is a glowing example as to why you should read the FAQs FIRST and do a little research on the site BEFORE you critique, err, criticize the hard work that Daniel and gang have put into this site. This site is full of answers and fun for both the beginners in aviation and those that have been around a while. Even if you can’t track flights in your area, if you ever have questions, you can, more times than not, find the answers in these forums.

The criticism that this web site should called ‘US FlightAware’ doesn’t hold water for me. Think of the URL domain, www.flightaware.com, a specifically US domain. Isn’t that a big clue?

This is sort of like arguing that because a telephone number in the US can be dialed from any phone in China, the person answering the phone should be able to speak Chinese.

You mean I can quit answering my phone in Chinese, Japanese, German, English, and a myriad of other languages? Thank you! Always seemed that by the time I finished greeting my callers in all languages, they hung up.

Tobyz1: It was **not **a criticism but a flippant comment provoking enriched thought = sarcasm!! No change to the web name needed but…
how does wwww.flightaware.com signify that it is a US domain??
www.tesco.com is a most British company (using .com (a big clue)by your methodology)
Boy - is this topic getting off the original issue.

IN (UK)

[quote=“IanNic64”]

As long as we’re O/T, IN (UK), we might as well be way O/T. …

“The rightmost sub-domain (.au in this example) is the top level domain, this tells us the country in which the computer is located.
Each country has a two letter domain name. If an address does not have a country code it is in the United States.” [My b/f]
http://www.lib.flinders.edu.au/resources/web/country.html

This Australian site is a .edu.au
I see British sites as .co.uk
Canadians use .co.ca or sometimes just .ca
A plain .com is a **US **domain. However, registrants using US domains may be from anywhere in the world. No US citizenship or incorporation required.

By the way, IN (UK), the ‘criticism’ part of my comment was not referring to your message. This is the referenced criticism – complaining that FA does not show information on flights outside North America.

As an American living abroad it gets terribly frustrating dealing with US based web sites that although they are on the WORLD wide web they seem to think the only people who will be looking at their site are in the US.

Next thing you’ll know, he’ll be demanding home delivery from the small Chinese .com-domain restaurant down the street from me just because they are on the WORLD wide web. Does anyone know of a web that is just ‘domestic’ only?