Cessna 162 SkyCatcher

Introducing Cessna’s Light Sport Aircraft The Model 162 SkyCatcher, making aviation very, very personal

Cessna Aircraft’s LSA is here, it’s the Model 162 SkyCatcher. To make the dream of learning to fly more accessible and affordable to thousands of new pilots, the SkyCatcher is being formally introduced today at the Experimental Aircraft Association’s Air Venture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Cessna has incorporated a number of innovative features in its LSA, making the SkyCatcher the finest aircraft in the category. The Model 162 SkyCatcher comes with the extensive customer support networks of Cessna Pilot Centers and Service Centers all at an attractive price.

A few weeks ago, Cessna reaffirmed its commitment to general aviation by announcing the company will proceed with its LSA program. The SkyCatcher takes flight as Cessna celebrates 80 years of business this year.

We’ve said it before and now the SkyCatcher says it again Cessna teaches the world to fly. This industry-leading LSA will drive down the cost of flying, and learning to fly, stimulating new pilot starts and encouraging already-licensed pilots to continue to fly because their passion is much more affordable.

Cessna is scheduling the first SkyCatcher deliveries for mid-2009. Visit the Cessna SkyCatcher website to learn how you can become one of the first to own this exciting new Cessna aircraft.

More info on cessnaskycatcher.com/ !!

http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/images/stories/Image_Gallery_Photos/skycatcher_interior.jpg
http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/images/stories/Image_Gallery_Photos/skycatcher_panel.jpg
http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/images/stories/Image_Gallery_Photos/skycatcher_03.jpg

PRICE: $109,500 Applicable to units 0001 through 1000

Since the first 1000 units were already sold to distributors on the first day (!), the price is now $119,500 for the next 1000.

Auch, that’s awesome!!! Almost insane!!

Eugh, you mean 400 ? On ANN the news is they sold until today 400 of them.

No, Cessna told me that all 1000 were sold in the first day. The difference may be Cessna is measuring sales to distributors vs. CNN is measuring end-user sales. A significant number of the initial sales were to flight schools.

I was told at Oshkosh that only a regular driver’s license is required to fly this little bugger, which does indeed look like a little bug. It’s pretty roomy inside though!!

You can use a drivers license as a medical, but you still need a pilot certificate.

it comes with an optional parachute too… right?

Thanks, Mr. Duell. I was listening to so many pilots, I probably only caught part of the story. Thanks for the clarification. I was getting ready to fly one to work lol

It’s the first time Cessna will have joined with another company to build one of its aircraft.

Excuse me? Ever heard of Reims? They’ve built thousands of Cesnas. They still make the F406 turboprop
http://www.reims-aviation-industries.fr

FROM AVWEB

Skycatcher To Be Made in China
By Russ Niles, Editor-in-Chief

Cessna has chosen the Chinese-government owned Shenyang Aircraft Corp. to build the Model 162 Skycatcher. Earlier this week, Cessna announced it would be building the Light Sport Aircraft offshore. In a news release, Cessna CEO Jack Pelton said the company needed top quality at a competitive price and SAC put it all together. “Our solution is to partner with SAC, a company with excellent facilities, state-of-the-art technologies and a workforce highly experienced in aircraft manufacturing. SkyCatcher customers will get an advanced design, high-quality workmanship and world-class product support, all at an affordable price from Cessna, a brand known and trusted worldwide.” According to a story in the Wall Street Journal, building the Skycatcher in China knocks $71,000 off the price compared to building it in the U.S. The other issue is plant capacity. There is no room in Cessna’s Wichita or Independence plants to turn out the 700 Skycatchers per year that Cessna envisions. The move, coupled with Cessna’s acquisition of Columbia Aircraft has dominated Cessna’s profile in recent months as it continues to pile up record sales for its business jets.

What does everyone think of Cessna contracting a Chinese firm to build the Skycatcher? Cessna says it knocks $70k off the cost to build. So will the Skycatcher be sold in the $30k range now? Or would have it been $170k without this arrangement?

If this product is being sold to the LSA and/or world market I say fine. Alot of that market is foreign built and marketed by less reputable firms then Cessna.

American firms build better products for a similar price point (see SportCub etc…). I’m less than thrilled about the Chinese government having a hand in this project.

Why not have China build a new 152 for $40-50k? This would be a reasonable fee given the market for used trainers today.

Why not build the 162 at their sleepy new plant in rural Oregon? Maybe they will import them for final assembly there.

What does this do to liability? If this becomes the Groundeater will Cessna say “Not me… Call China!”

Cessna has now descided to call this not a Cessna plane but a Chissna plane (just joking…)

I’m pritty sure this descisission is comming because they now up to today they only sold 700 of them, while i find that still an amazing number for cessna it is way to less, otherwise they wouldn’t have put an incentive on 1000 planes, now that they see that they cant even get to the 1000 mark they tought: this plane is not a succes we hoped it would be, let’s just outsource it so we can just forget it…

Now when you order one they ask if you want chopstix.

Check out the comments on Cessna’s website :stuck_out_tongue: I wonder what the order book looks like today? 70?

http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/home/95.html#jc_commentsDiv

Although it’s “going outside the family” so to speak, I believe free enterprise includes seeking manufacturers wherever one likes, however, I’m not thrilled about the idea of supporting the communist form of government. I’m sure the individual people are wonderful.

Here’s a guy that decided to buy an American built LSA 8)

Sunday, December 2, 2007
Sunday Buzz

Plane for Boeing exec almost done in Yakima
By Seattle Times business staff
ial CEO Carson

The CubCrafters Sport Cub S2

Scott Carson, chief executive of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, is keeping an especially close eye on one particular airplane rolling off a local production line this month.

This past week, he was delighted to learn that the landing gear had been attached. No delays are anticipated in delivery of the airplane, one of about 100 to be produced at the plant in 2007.

The airplane is not Boeing’s first Dreamliner. The factory, far from Everett, belongs to the state’s other airplane manufacturer.

The apple of Carson’s eye is a sporty little two-seater built by CubCrafters of Yakima, priced at around $120,000. He’s buying it for himself and his family.

Carson has made several visits to the Yakima facility, which employs about 100 in manufacturing and maintenance facilities alongside McAllister Field airport. It turns out he has a personal family connection with the site.

His father, Kit Carson, took a break in the 1950s from his career as a Boeing test pilot to work as a contract pilot for Lamson Aircraft at the Yakima location now used by CubCrafters.

For about 18 months, the elder Carson flew a prototype gull-winged crop-duster airplane called the Lamson Air Tractor. Though the company failed before the aircraft went to market, the design was bought and further developed by Grumman into a successful crop-duster called the Grumman Ag-Cat.

Today, at 61, Scott Carson is buying a Sport Cub S2, a modernized version of the old Piper Cub that dates to the 1930s. It’s what’s known as a “metal-tube-and-fabric” aircraft, which makes it extremely light.

Carson’s plane does, however, have modern avionics and airbags.

It’s a plane for someone who loves flying.

“We have a shared passion,” said CubCrafters Chief Executive Todd Simmons. “Scott is very much an airplane guy, going back even to his teenage years.”

In the early 1960s, Carson took an aircraft mechanics course at the old Edison Technical School on Broadway in Seattle, a course which later became part of the South Seattle Community College program.

Carson never did complete that course, but at a conference Thursday in Bellevue, Jill Wakefield, the college’s president, presented him with an honorary airplane mechanic certificate.

In any case, Carson’s career in aviation had long since taken off.

In an e-mail, Carson said he first flew solo at about 17. By year end, he’ll have a new set of wings.

Does Boeing in Chicago have any concerns about Carson flying a small plane while he’s CEO?

“No issue,” said Boeing spokesman Peter Conte. “We have many Boeing employees and executives who fly. … It’s what we do.”

Cessna fans not happy, see Cessna’s own blog…

http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/home/95.html#jc_commentsDiv

http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/home/124.html#jc_commentsDiv

http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/home/116.html#jc_commentsDiv

hoHo!! will it really affect 162 sales ??

I like it… kinda like a new, modernized 152.

I think it looks more like a 140.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/1044691376_04ce3cd2de_o.jpg