BREAKING NEWS: plane crash in AZ Superstition Mtns

This just breaking.

Follow my updates in the Squawk section.

Aircraft type unknown however FAA says it is NOT a commercial a/c

Local ABC affiliate has information that it is an Embraer EJ135 privately operated by a California company.

Again , follow my updates in the Squawk section

flightaware.com/squawks/view/1/r … live_video

UPDATE: A/C confirmed as a Rockwell AC69 Turbo Commander registered to Ponderosa Aviation in Safford. The Pilot, along with his 3 children :frowning: and two other adults are presumed dead :frowning: .

Press conference about to start at 11:30 PM EST abc15.com/generic/news/live-video

For more information follow my squawks at the above flightaware link.

Pilot behind Superstition Mountain plane crash struggled with depression, bankruptcy

http://www.goldcanyontoday.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2023&Itemid=189

Pinal County court records for Shawn Perry, the 39-year-old pilot whose small commuter plane crashed into the Superstition Mountains on Thanksgiving eve, reveal Perry allegedly grounded himself from his job as a pilot for Safford, Arizona-based Ponderosa Aviation, Inc. due to severe depression in 2010. Perry had also filed for bankruptcy last year after he and his wife Karen previously underwent wage garnishment from their jobs as a pilot and flight attendant for Delta Airlines.

From FAA
faa.gov/data_research/accide … 1125_Y.txt

N690SM
registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry … txt=N690SM
airport-data.com/aircraft/N690SM.html
jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?regsearch=N690SM

aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=140030

********************************************************************************
IDENTIFICATION
  Regis#: 690SM        Make/Model: 690A      Description: ROCKWELL INTERNATIONAL 690A
  Date: 11/24/2011     Time: 0132

Event Type: Accident   Highest Injury: Fatal     Mid Air: N    Missing: N
  Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
  AIRCRAFT CRASHED INTO A MOUNTAINSIDE, THE 6 PERSONS ON BOARD WERE FATALLY 
  INJURED, 10 MILES FROM MESA, AZ

INJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   6
                 # Crew:   1     Fat:   1     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:    
                 # Pass:   5     Fat:   5     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:    
                 # Grnd:         Fat:   0     Ser:   0     Min:   0     Unk:    

WEATHER: 240147 26003KT 20 SM SKC 25/M01 A2997

OTHER DATA
  Activity: Unknown      Phase: Unknown      Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SCOTTSDALE, AZ  (WP07)                Entry date: 11/25/2011 

You are not authorized to view this resource.
You need to login.

[quote=“NeedleNose”]

That’s weird, it worked yesterday. Wasn’t much more to read than what was quoted by OP

This is clear CFIT. The depression, money problems etc had nothing to due with this crash. The Aircraft leveled off at 4500ft, just below the PHX 5000ft airspace, and flew into the terrain. Phoenix approach is often to busy to deal with VFR traffic and the pilot probably didn’t try due to previous experience and failed to climb when past the shelf.

I agree.
Initially everybody pointed to the recent lowering of that shelf from 8000 to 5000 ( I think). I looked a the area chart and the mountain/ridge he hit is about 6 miles outside the class B airspace. For somebody familiar with the area that is plenty of time to climb a 690 700 feet. Heck even Allen’s old Sundowner could do that. It was a new airplane to the company so, playing devils advocate, maybe the DME was intermittent or not working and he was playing it safe, approach control was to busy to talk to him, passengers yapping etc. But, for the younger pilots out there, it is better to risk a possible violation than certain death. You don’t have to climb to 17,5000 just high enough to clear the ground until you are sure where you are.