Back to the future

aka, computers that don’t question obvious errors.

flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW5 … /KSBP/KSFO

FA shows the flight departing at 1137 PST, however as I type this it is only 1052 PST. I am listening on that other website and the flight did depart at about 1037.
I’m a bit surprised the FAA computer accepted the error, and it brings up a possible change to the FA computer. When an obvious error occurs how about your computer adding a ? to the time shown here?

John

This one is on the FAA; at 1827 they sent us a message stating the flight departed at 1827 and then immediately amended it to say the flight was active with a departure time of 1937. We’ll forward the bug on to the appropriate office at the FAA.

I figured as much, do you know if they are automatic times or are they entered by the controller?

The other times at SBP are right, the Sky West flight has now arrived in SFO before it left!

I don’t know.

This one is even more curious, as there’s another departure message between the other two messages I mentioned with an estimated departure time of 1830.

I’ve also had the flight record fixed manually.

That is weird. All of the flow control restrictions had been canceled before the flight was ready to depart so there should not have been an ETD based on that.
Are you bound by law to use the arrival report? I ask because the arrival report shows 1906 but the track log continues to 1919. Wouldn’t that be more accurate, at least most of the time?

John

We’re not legally required to do it either way, but we want accuracy for business reasons and the arrival message is generally the most reliable source.

The departure times are automatic. When your aircraft “tags up” on the controller’s screen ( which means the radar system has read the transponder code and the computer matches your squawk code with the flight plan data) the computer sends a DM ( departure message).