Any interesting trends from Covid-19

Lufthansa is going to Mallorca, Spain a couple of times with their wide bodies A350 and B747 due to high booking volume.
Normally this route is operated by A321

Interested passengers can even book business or first class

News:

Almost on the level of 2020 and the vacation season did not even start

Aircraft heading to one of the most popular vacation islands in Europe, names Mallorca:

And the way retour in the afternoon

1 Like

Wow, very nice tracking. Hope the all stay safe

Seems like things are really coming back. I just crossed 1,000 aircraft for today on my main feeder, with 4.5 hours left to go in the day (I’m GMT -7, so my “day” ends at 5pm local time). I should easily end up over 1,200 for the day, giving me a 9 day streak of 1,000+ planes.

I added a FlightFeeder 978 about 6 weeks ago, and seem to be averaging about 65 planes per day, with a high of 112 at the end of last month. I don’t know if that is good or bad yet, but it’s nice to pick up additional planes that were being missed by my main system.

I moved my antenna to my roof just a little bit over a year ago, so I don’t have non-covid historical data to compare to, but I am easily hitting double what I got when it was installed in a second story window.

I haven’t been this high in the global rankings for a long, long time.

2 Likes

That’s also an interesting development over the last weeks for my receiver.

While i am climbing up globally, the ranking for Germany only is hovering around 190-200 since weeks.

Yup, all-time high traffic for me over the past week. (Station only went online in January 2020). Nice weather brings out the GA aircraft and the commercial traffic seams to be gradually increasing.

Curious to see what this hottest heat wave ever this weekend does to traffic on your station and mine (I’m just up I-5). 43°C / 110°F has never happened around here before! Emergencies have been declared and the air up above will be warmer than it’s ever been.

I had this same discussion with my wife just this week. No idea if the crazy temps are going to increase or decrease GA traffic.

Lucky for me, I am on a plane right this moment, and will be spending the weekend working in south Florida, where the temps will only be in the low 90s. I’m hoping the A/C at the house is able to keep up so that my wife doesn’t rip my face off when I get home! :wink:

1 Like

Off to south Florida to escape the heat of the pacific northwest… What’s next, a polar shift/reversal? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Greece is suffering in some parts temperatures of > 40°C
That is not fun, even not for Greece. On the other side a terrible tornado destroyed several areas in the Czech Republic. Never seen such a force over Europe

studies say the jetstream is getting slower and slower causing this

But i think we are leaving now a bit the topic of this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anything is possible!

Unfortunately only about one third of homes/apartments have air conditioning in this area. There’s shelters open starting today but I suspect the most vulnerable will still suffer.

In terms of flight tracking, there is no reference for this scale of anomaly in historical weather charts. It’s just starting but I’ve seen more 160+ nm aircraft on my station in the past few hours than I normally see over a week! (There’s hills, mountains and trees to overcome)

I’m keeping on eye on this tropo map which is showing more yellow to orange than usual already. (It’s an actual real-time VHF propagation map. I wasn’t sure if this tropo would relate to vertically polarized UHF, but the yellow or orange at the edges of my range do seem to coincide with unusually good ADS-B range or low-altitude signals since I started referencing the map a few weeks ago)

6:30am and many aircraft are already on their way down to Mallorca, one of the most popular spanish islands for vacation.

Looks like the local bus service. Till the screenshot I counted 8 rounds.:slightly_smiling_face: Must be boring for the crew.

I cannot even remember when was the last time my device identified > 110 aircraft at the same time

May be you are getting older and your memory is playing with you? :wink:

No worries, i know when it was. But it was a long time ago

When the vacation season comes up in germany…
Same source, same destination, sometimes wide-body

2 Likes