Any interesting trends from Covid-19

Following your nifty chart format…

Sunny days GA traffic spikes up, and on rainy days it drops down. Total Plane counts from summer 2020 onward are about 10 to 15% higher than earlier in 2020 because I added a UAT receiver and some other station optimizations in July/August 2020.

1 Like

New Update of my receiver. The uptrend continues, but slowly.
Graphs are showing a seven day average. Counted all aircraft (ADS-B, MLAT, Other)

Overall it fits to other charts like from FR24 or Eurocontrol

It’s been steadily up down south as well. Today makes 13 consecutive days of 900+ aircraft on my main receiver, including 3 straight days greater than 1000 (I have only had two 1000+ days in the past year, for comparison).

I added a UAT FlightFeeder last weekend, but I don’t have enough data to know what kind of trends I will see. The last 7 days have ranged from 25 to 60 aircraft reported, but I am the only UAT feeder in my area so I don’t have other sites to compare to, or even MLAT sites to sync to.

1 Like

Yeah, it was busy for a while there. A few top 10 traffic days for me. Then I had some technical problems so I’m not exactly sure what I missed this week! Weather wasn’t great though. Back to full strength (I hope!) as of a couple hours ago with a new antenna cable!

That looks pretty good for daily UAT aircraft. On the big days I get near a hundred, but most okay weather days are about the same as you I think. I have trees on 3.5 sides so I’m surprised UAT does so well. Low-ish gain was the trick for my station. Minimum signal strength around 30 - 31 or so. I have Orang FA stick gain at 16.6 with an Uputronics 978MHz LNA/filter. The LNA/filter does help with range. (Here’s UAT right after bringing my station back up. In case it helps!)

I was able to get a FlightFeeder because of my location, so I think that the graphs from @wiedehopf can’t be used. (I’m actually not positive about that, but I would think that I wouldn’t be able to access the info that they need via an external connection).

The FlightFeeder is currently set at the default (max) gain, but with so little traffic, and with it so variable, I don’t know how best to approach making changes.

With the FA orange stick alone (probably what that Flightfeeder has?), for UAT I recommend setting gain to 29.7 for a few days then try 28.0 then try 32.8. Before I got an LNA, gain for UAT was best a few clicks lower than optimal gain on 1090MHz ADS-B with Blue or Orange FA stick. You won’t believe it at first because there are so few aircraft, but the lower gain really seems to help with range and messages.

I have to claim ignorance about Flightfeeders and even the PiAware RPI image. All I know is Pi package installs… But your UAT aircraft should at least show up as green on the new Anywhere features: https://flightaware.com/skyaware/. And on regular package Pi installs, the old UAT-only map still works at http://your-flightfeeder-ip-address/skyaware978/

You can get the data from port 30005 but you’d need to set up a pi or linux box with decoder software, for example:
Automatic installation for readsb · wiedehopf/adsb-scripts Wiki · GitHub
Automatic installation for readsb · wiedehopf/adsb-scripts Wiki · GitHub

Then you can add graphs1090 to that and it will work just fine.
I suppose you could get the stats.json via http by changing collectd.conf as well … but … meh.

Thanks for the info. Setting up another Linux machine wouldn’t be a big deal around here. My server is already hosting 6 or 7 Linux VMs for other services.

I may give this a shot, but not until next month, probably. heading out of town Monday for work and won’t be back until Friday night, then leaving Saturday morning for a 2 week driving vacation over much of the Western US.

I’m going to try to leave all of my hobby stuff stable so that I don’t break something that I can’t fix remotely!

In the UK today a nice improvement in the weather brought out all the MLAT planes :wink:
Traffic still down massively of course…

1 Like

That’s a development i see here in Germany pretty often on weekends with all these private aircraft doing their turns here.

But overall there’s still a continous uptrend this year. My receiver is at 50% of the 2019 traffic

7-day average

Aviation Stats Update: May 25, 2021 has some overall trend graphs

1 Like

Sure, also Eurocontrol is displaying graphs with trends for the European region

Pretty busy Friday compared to the last days and weeks

Perhaps the sunny weather is “helping” as well?

At least here Friday is always the strongest day.
Earlier today they changed the approach in EDDF from east to west, aircraft are closer here now.

Compared to last Friday, I see lots and lots more.

1 Like

Sunny Saturday = lots of GA aircraft and a new all time high for my station. 1,234 aircraft beats the old record by 69. (My station only came online in late January, 2020…)

1 Like

Sunny Sunday = Lot of GA aircraft traffic :slight_smile:
My area is known for lots of leisure flights while the weather is good:

1 Like

Update with a significant increase.

Graphs show the seven day averages

I’ve had a few days that are really good by current standards but still massively down on what they ‘should’ be.

1 Like

I’m picking up MANY more east/west Asia <–> US eastern half destinations flyovers each day. And a few more north/south flyovers between Europe and the Middle East to mostly California cities,

Traffic from Asia is definitely increasing here lately. But local daily aircraft count is still heavily weighted by GA aircraft and thus the weather.

1 Like