I just signed up and have been doing a lot of reading in the forum. For those more experienced people I have a few questions:
- Is 13m (42 foot) of coax going to impact my signal ? eg: The pi wont find as many aircraft.
- Should I mount the antenna on top of my TV mast on the roof ?
- Is there any issue like interference with using the same mast, or should I use a stand off ?
By way of background, I’ve got the:
- FlightAware 5dBi 66cm/26 inch 1090MHz Antenna
- Flightaware Prostick Plus (Blue).
- I didn’t get the band-pass round filter as the blue seems to include it ??
With cable, I couldn’t find any cable locally and ended up buying “13 metre RG223, RF Coaxial Cable assembly Male N to Male SMA RG223, Telegartner”.
Having read through many posts I’m now concerned about loss, using that length of cable.
I’ve put the antenna in the window and confirm that everything is working. The range isn’t very good. It’s about 11km or 7 miles.
I’m in a double story house and have an existing TV antenna on a mast on the roof. So I was thinking of mounting the flightaware antenna on the top of the TV mast. To do this, I was thinking about using something like this:
the other option I thought of was to use a stand off like this: https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/telco-galvanised-clamp-stand-off-mount-50mm~81587 but I dont know if its worth the extra $$$ and if it matters that the flightaware antenna is mounted the TV mast or not.
The other thing I’m concerned about is running a long line of cable. I don’t have power up there and can’t get into the roof space, so its a big deal. I might be able to run cable under the roof and grab it via a light switch and run it down a wall and into a plug. That’s how I was thinking of dealing with it. The other option was to run that full 13m coax and then connect up the blue prostick and then run a long USB into the PI.
I’d really appreciate thoughts of more experienced people on the forum. Thank you.