Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

Why not re-image with 3.7.1 image?

I feed other sites in addition to FA, and I have some custom code to notify me if certain historic aircraft are around, so I didnā€™t want to re-install that stuff. The upgrade worked. Itā€™s just that the autoremove messes up. Just donā€™t run apt-get autoremove.

Hereā€™s the detail. Youā€™ll see that Piaware, piaware-support and piaware-web are listed as ready to be removed.Yup, thatā€™s what happened all right! There are a few other questionable entries too, like rasp-config and wpasupplicant for starters.

pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package listsā€¦ Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
Calculating upgradeā€¦ The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
alsa-utils atmel-firmware beast-splitter crda firmware-atheros firmware-brcm80211 firmware-intelwimax firmware-iwlwifi firmware-libertas
firmware-ralink firmware-realtek firmware-ti-connectivity firmware-zd1211 fontconfig fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core ifplugd itcl3 iw
libasound2 libasound2-data libboost-program-options1.55.0 libboost-regex1.55.0 libboost-system1.55.0 libcairo2 libdaemon0 libdatrie1 libdrm2
libertas-firmware libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgraphite2-3 libharfbuzz0b libiw30 libnl-3-200 libnl-genl-3-200 libpango-1.0-0 libpangocairo-1.0-0
libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpixman-1-0 libplymouth4 libsamplerate0 libtcl8.6 libthai-data libthai0 libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shm0
libxcb1 libxdmcp6 libxext6 libxrender1 lua5.1 nano netcat-openbsd piaware piaware-support piaware-web plymouth plymouth-themes raspi-config rfkill
rtl-sdr socat tcl tcl-tls tcl8.6 tcllib tclx8.4 ucf usbutils wireless-regdb wireless-tools wpasupplicant
Use ā€˜apt-get autoremoveā€™ to remove them.
Done
The following packages have been kept back:
libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi0
The following packages will be upgraded:
apt bash beast-splitter cpp-4.9 cron curl dump1090-fa file g+Ā±4.9 gcc-4.9 gcc-4.9-base git git-man libapt-pkg4.12 libasan1 libatomic1 libbladerf1
libcurl3 libcurl3-gnutls libdns-export100 libgcc-4.9-dev libgcc1 libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 libgomp1 libgssapi-krb5-2 libirs-export91
libisc-export95 libisccfg-export90 libk5crypto3 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 libmagic1 libpam-systemd libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib
libpython3.4 libpython3.4-dev libpython3.4-minimal libpython3.4-stdlib libsqlite3-0 libssh2-1 libssl1.0.0 libstdc+Ā±4.9-dev libstdc++6 libsystemd0
libubsan0 libudev1 libx11-6 libx11-data libxml2 openssh-client openssh-server openssh-sftp-server openssl perl perl-base perl-modules piaware
piaware-repository piaware-support piaware-web python2.7 python2.7-minimal python3.4 python3.4-dev python3.4-minimal rsync systemd systemd-sysv tar
tcl-tls tzdata udev webmin wget wpasupplicant
77 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 118 MB of archives.
After this operation, 4,340 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Use a powered USB hub and it will be fine.

Did you remove piaware-release? Usually, piaware-release is the only manually-installed package on a sdcard image and all the others are pulled in by depedencies; if piaware-release is removed, then all the others will be candidates for autoremoval.

Not that I recall. I started with the FA image some years ago and have been upgrading from that. Does the FA image have PiAware-release? Anyway, not a problem. I had a backup and did a do over on the upgrade without the autoremove, and all is well. In my old age I just need to remember this for the next time! Thanks for all you do for the community OBJ.

Is your OS jessie or stretch?

Jessie is the base. I started from the FA image when Jessie was current.

You may want to try a sudo apt-get install piaware-release; it should, at most, install only piaware-release (if it wants to remove packages or errors out, please let me know the details)

1 Like

Adding a second dongle didnā€™t affect it. It doesnā€™t work with
one dongle so what good would a second Pi do me?

Ah, I must have misunderstood what you said here:

which sounded to me like you started running dump978 + dump1090 (two dongles) on a single Pi and started having mlat problems.

If thatā€™s not what you did, can you explain what you did do?

Thanks. I did that. it installed OK and updated the initramfs img kernel images. So it must not have been installed before otherwise it would have just said ā€œset to manually installedā€. Interestingly, once I did that, the autoremove did not show any other packages to remove, whereas before it listed a couple of dozen as listed above.

Thanks again for your help!

When 3.7.0.1 came out I acquired the 978 antenna and added
another FA orange RTLSDR to the same Pi3 B+ that was running
1090. MLAT worked fined until 5/9 which was also when 3.7.1 was
released and I upgraded. MLAT has not worked since then. It does
not synchronize and I see a message in the logs that says ā€œserver
status:clock unstable.ā€ Not sure what clock source that refers to
but the Pi has an RTC module and is synchronized with a Stratum 1
time source via NTP.

I have been working with wiedehopf to troubleshoot and have tried

different power supplies, running only one dongle and have tested
with both of the dongles one at the time. The voltage at the USB
port is over 5 volts. Now Iā€™m going to try a spare Pi 3 B that I
have.

Local system clock is irrelevant; mlat cares about USB bus stability (not dropping data). Clock instability like this is invariably a hardware problem - bad dongle, or bad power, or bad USB cabling, or the USB bus being overloaded by other devices.

Iā€™d suggest switching back to using a single 1090 dongle, fresh sdcard image of 3.7.1, and then start diagnosing hardware from there if the problem remains. Youā€™re on the right track by the sounds of it.

There were no mlat changes in 3.7.1 vs 3.7.0.1

There is nothing else for me to do. First of all, this worked
flawlessly for 4 months. I have tried different Pis, different
dongles, different power supplies. All of the testing I have done
is with one dongle. There is no USB cable involved, there are no
other devices plugged into the Pi. Am I to assume all the
hardware I have went bad at the same and now I need to order all
new hardware and start over again? I do appreciate all the help
you guys have provided but there is something else going on here.

Regards,

Ed

Seems unlikely.

With all the experimentation i would have expected more than one station here: tahoeadsb ADS-B Feeder Statistics - FlightAware

Can you double check the coordinates and altitude?
(The coordinates need to be precise, 4 digits behind the .)
journalctl -n20000 | grep reported
This command should show you the location used by flightaware.

Are you by chance running more than one pi with the same feeder-id?

If you want, you can try version 3.6.3 i suppose, itā€™s still available:
PiAware - ADS-B and MLAT Receiver - FlightAware
But i doubt itā€™s gonna make a difference.

Sorry if this is all trivial and youā€™ve made no errors, but iā€™m running out of ideas.

Iā€™m still curious about the logs i mentioned

sudo journalctl -u piaware | grep -v 'reported location\|--lat\|feeder ID' | grep mlat
sudo journalctl -u dump1090-fa | cat

Probably there is nothing to see, but iā€™m still curious.

2 Likes

Success!! It was the location coordinates. I probably re-entered
them when I did the upgrade and I had no idea they had to be that
accurate. They now have 5 digits beyond the decimal. Thanks very
much for all the help and sticking with me on this.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got 3.7.1 running on 1 raspi with 2 dongles for 978 & 1090.

Does the gain setting for each dongle need to be adjusted manually for tracking preference (near planes vs far planes) or is the gain dynamically set based on strength of signals received?

You need to set it manually.
AGC does not work as the ADS-B signal is not continuous.
Typically AGC is equivalent to a gain of 55.

Check this thread: Thoughts on optimizing gain

And thatā€™s a LOT of gain!

1 Like