Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

Oh, I did not realize it pertained to auto-pilot.
Now I checked and found the glitch is still there in 3.6.2bis version

Iā€™m on the original 3.6.2. is there anyway to update whats changed from 3.6.2 to 3.6.2bis without full re-image?

If your original 3.6.2 is running fine, there is no need to update. But to do so, without re-imaging, either do it from the My ADS-B page, or manually issue a sudo apt-get update, followed by a sudo apt-get upgrade command.

The only difference between the two images is the contents of /etc/hosts so you can just edit that by hand if itā€™s causing problems. The packages etc did not change.

Not a big deal, but it was a handy feature to display name piaware when microSD card was slipped into desktop/laptop.

Now it displays boot, just like raspbian image. Cant diffrentiate weather it is piaware image or respbian image unless folder /boot is opened and contents checked.

piaware-boot

1 Like

I upgraded to 2.6.2 shows in the dialog that its tracking data but the flightaware web page under flights with positions i havent seen anything new since the upgradeā€¦i probably broke something somewhere here is the latest read out

its my my system ive been using on here for the last couple of years

I currently am not local to the piawareā€¦im at work

[2018-07-30 11:15 EDT] mlat-client(969): Beast-format results connection with 127.0.0.1:30104: connection established
[2018-07-30 11:21 EDT] mlat-client(969): Receiver: 159.2 msg/s received 50.3 msg/s processed (32%)
[2018-07-30 11:21 EDT] mlat-client(969): Server: 0.3 kB/s from server 0.0kB/s TCP to server 0.6kB/s UDP to server
[2018-07-30 11:29 EDT] 5206 msgs recvā€™d from dump1090-fa (1067 in last 5m); 4971 msgs sent to FlightAware
[2018-07-30 11:36 EDT] mlat-client(969): Server: 0.3 kB/s from server 0.0kB/s TCP to server 0.7kB/s UDP to server
[2018-07-30 11:36 EDT] mlat-client(969): Results: 147.2 positions/minute
[2018-07-30 11:36 EDT] mlat-client(969): Aircraft: 21 of 48 Mode S, 27 of 30 ADS-B used
[2018-07-30 11:39 EDT] 7352 msgs recvā€™d from dump1090-fa (1071 in last 5m); 7117 msgs sent to FlightAware
[2018-07-30 11:44 EDT] 8456 msgs recvā€™d from dump1090-fa (1104 in last 5m); 8221 msgs sent to FlightAware

This is a known server-side problem that weā€™re in the process of fixing. The data is being received fine, itā€™s just a problem with displaying it.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply

Same problem here. Good to hear that you are working on it. :slight_smile:

You can always rename the card to give a meaningful name.

As soon as Iā€™ve burnt an image, I start to customize it. Once it has the UniqueID, the card becomes site specific, so needs a name to reflect this.

Did the update via the configure menu on the adsb feeder statistics page last Saturday, and now notice a drop in aircraft counts by approximately 30-40%. MLAT is enabled and working, and gain set to -10 (AGC) using the flightaware pro-stick +. This is an RPI3B Piaware image.
Should I be playing with the gain setting to bring counts back up? Always seemed to get good results using the -10 setting until the update.

My other feeder is on a RPI2B, installed a new piaware image when updating and added MM2. It uses a yellow pro-stick (not the plus with the filter and amp). Plane counts do not seem to be affected by the update on this install.

edit: Funny after leaving this message my aircraft count went back up againā€¦ :slight_smile:

My upgrade (via the page) has removed altitude & speed too!

hjm

@hughjmilsom Please do a hard refresh of the Skyview page in your browser to load the latest software.

Still nothing. Iā€™ve removed the Safari cache for Flightaware ā€¦

Kind Regards

Hugh

HUGH MILSOM
FUNERAL CELEBRANT
Tel: 01793 721414
hmilsom
Mobile: 07798610482 hugh_milsom
Email: hugh@swindonfuneralcelebrant.co.uk

If you do not want to receive emails from me in the future, please send an email with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject and I will remove your details from my records.

Itā€™s the same on Safari & Firefox ā€¦

Kind Regards

Yippee! Absolutely no idea what or why but itā€™s fine!

Hugh

Hi Bram,

I have the same problem with VRS after the update, what did solve your problem?
Is it a hard reboot or was it changing the /etc/hosts file?
If I take a look in VRS, I only get ā€œbad messagesā€ from Piaware.

Regards,
Ton

What port are you feeding from PiAware to VRS?

I took a look at the 30003 (old SBS-style) output from 3.6.2 and it looks like one of the timestamps is getting mangled; possibly this is causing problems for VRS.

30005 (Beast, which you should probably use anyway) should be fine.

iā€™m a 31 day old user of flightaware and piaware (via SD card) currently using v 3.5.3 on a rpi3b. regarding the upgrade to 3.6.2 do i wait for the automatic update (i have "auto update PiAware software enabled on the feeder page) or do i do manually via the ADS-B feeder pageā€¦or do i do a new SD card ?

i apologize if this is evident, but, as noted, i am only 31 days old

The ā€˜customerā€™ is always right. Your choice.

Some of us cannot wait, thatā€™s all.:wink:

If you re-image the SD, donā€™t forget to copy and paste the feeder-id, or a new one will be issued.