Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

I’m getting a migraine!

I’m running ‘almost’ vanilla FA 3.5.3 SD images on my Pi’s.
I’ve been trying to get MLAT to do something useful for a few days.
Config page says MLAT is “Enabled”. Stats page says it’s “Supported / Not Enabled”.
Wondering if anything has changed, I just selected “Upgrade and restart Piaware” from the config page.

It made no difference to my MLAT, but not I can no longer choose not to allow automatic upgrades.

Is this deliberate?
I’m not sure I’m comfortable losing control like this.

Before:

before%20-%20%20upgrade%20choice

After:

after%20-%20no%20choice

@geckoVN

Just now upgraded Piaware SD card image 3.5.3, but all is OK.

@geckoVN

Give these commands, then check your configuration on stats page.

sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes
sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes
sudo systemctl restart piaware

I’ll give that a go - thanks.
That particular Pi probably has “allow-auto-updates no” set in the config file, but that’s never altered what I see on the Configure drop-down.
If that’s the case, then it makes perfect sense.

Edit:
I just loaded the page using my phone and the option is there.
Could you please have a look using a PC (I use firefox).

Had a play and sure enough, toggling the “allow-auto-updates x” in piaware-config.txt (followed by a reboot) does indeed remove/replace the up-date option from the config drop-down.

Has anyone had luck running the piaware-sd-card-3.5.3.img on a usb stick?

I keep having SD cards go bad, so im booting my pi3 from usb now, thinking i would just run the image off a good USB stick.

The only problem is, booting the image from the usbstick results in getting stuck at an initramfs prompt. I havent yet found a solution, i was hoping someone else might have a fix!

Some of my Pi’s have been using the same cards for several years now without issue. What type of cards are you using that keep going bad on you? That’s a bit odd.

Matt

The last one was a 64gb samsung evo+, Previous was a 64gb lexar (not sure the model) and the one before that was one that came with a pi canakit - no idea themodel, but it was a 32gb Kingston.

It’s been running outside in a weatherproof box - but i figure something with the extremes of our Canadian weather may have had an effect - im going to move it inside and run the antenna cable through the wall and see if there’s an improvement.

1 Like

Hi,
i have a Cubietruck running this:
Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.38 stable Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 4.14.18-sunxi

root@cubietruck:~# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)”
NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“8”
VERSION=“8 (jessie)”
ID=debian
HOME_URL=“http://www.debian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“Debian -- User Support
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.debian.org/

The Cubietruck is used for various things. I was successfully running piaware from the .deb install. Yesterday i updated the OS, which also did a Kernel Update (most likely due to the Spectre and Meldown thingy). Now piaware is no longer starting. Updated to 3.5.3 (via deb download and install), same thing. Tried building the paket from git source, did not work.
Logfile says:
Mar 7 17:48:52 localhost piaware[9951]: /usr/bin/piaware: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libtcl8.6.so: undefined symbol: TclpOpenFileChannel

Compiling the git source does stop for the same reason.
Site 42790 is rather red :wink:

Does anyone have an idea what i can do to solve this?

Finally problem solved. If anyone else ever faces such a problem, here is what i did:

• Remove any tcl related package: apt-get remove libtcl8.6 tcl8.6 tcl8.6-dev
  • Build from git (all done as root):
  • mkdir git; cd git; git clone GitHub - flightaware/piaware_builder: Debian package builder for piaware
  • apt-get install build-essential debhelper tcl8.6-dev autoconf python3-dev python3-venv dh-systemd libz-dev
  • ./piaware_builder/sensible-build.sh jessie
  • dpkg-buildpackage -b ; cd … ; dpkg -i piaware_3.5.3_armhf.deb
  • Now comes a strange error message that demands more packages and i had to install them with force since they are of version 8.4 even though 8.6 is already installed.
  • apt-get -f install tclx8.4 tcllib tcl-tls itcl3
  • … then piaware was installed and started.

How did you get the b+ plus to work? I tried 3.5.3 and it just sits there and blinks red.

Will 3.5.3 work on pi b+ plus? It’s 64 bit and when I tried it just blinks red.

I think you’ll have to download the newest Raspbian and then download the piware software via apt-get. Or maybe it is possible to use the current image on an older piaware and upgrade the distribution and then put in the b+

I seem to recall seeing that. The Piaware image will not work.

I just received my RPi 3B+, but it’ll not be for ADS-B use, at least for a while. The current Raspbian works perfectly, as expected.

On the 'build yourself a piaware receiver’ page, it’s still saying the 3b+ won’t work with 3.5.3, but offers a link to a recipe where you can cut’n’paste eight lines to get piaware running on the latest OS.

I’m not a great fan of any flavour of *ux and I was still able to make it work. If I can do it, anyone can.

1 Like

I loaded raspbian stretch and did the package installation and rebooted but cannot find the piaware-config.txt to edit. What am I missing?

the file is: piaware.conf and you’ll find it in: /etc

The file piaware-config.txt exists only in Piaware SD card image.

Raspbian image, with package install of piaware+dump1090-fa, does not have it. As already pointed by @geckoVN, you have to use file /etc/piaware.conf.

In Raspbian image, with package install of piaware+dump1090-fa, for editing dump1090-fa related parameters such as gain, you have to edit file /etc/default/dump1090-fa

1 Like

I see the piaware+dump1090-fa file but not the /ect/piaware.conf. file. I ran the piaware repository but still no file.

Mike