Announcing PiAware 3! (Latest version: 3.8.0)

That looks like a bad dongle (or a bad connection to the dongle); dump1090 can’t talk to it properly. Since you said you have the same result directly connected on different ports, and presumably other USB is OK (e.g. keyboard…) it does sound like the dongle is fried.

Keyboard works fine, and I have already ordered a new Dongle… Would love to know what made it go bad… Was working before the update, so the way I see it something in the update caused it. I will have one in a few days. I ordered the Blue Stick that does not require a filter. Says it works better, so at least I will hopefully be getting an upgrade. Thanks for the help.

It is very hard for software to make the dongle fail. Either it was infant mortality, physical damage when you did the upgrade (perhaps electrostatic damage), or just bad luck with the hardware.

I performed the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3 yesterday, using the “Update all installed Debian packages” from the web page for my site. The upgrade took a while, but appeared to complete successfully. The site page shows 3.3 and the map also shows 3.3. All very good!

The one thing I’d recommend adding to instruction is to reboot some time afterwards. The system information page was showing 95% memory utilization, which has dropped to 30% after a reboot.

Sparki624, I had a dongle that was jostled which torqued it enough to give it an intermittent failure. Frizbee’d that one and bought another.

About an hour ago, from my FA stats page, gave the command “upgrade all debian packages” to Pi2 running piaware 3.1.0 (SD card).

After update has completed, as a matter of habbit, I gave command “reboot device”.

Now it is showing piaware 3.3.0 (SD card), and apparently running smoothly. Will watch it for next few days. Will also try ssh and gmap from desktop when I am at home.

Upgraded yesterday, set card up for wifi and then ssh, then used the scripts to load the feeds. Worked perfectly. Thanks to all that made that possible. Especially appreciate the knowledge and PATIENCE exhibited by OBJ.

JUST ONE OUTSTANDING QUESTION (at this time) and may be a h/w problem, since it persisted from 3.2 image to 3.3 image.

Every and I mean every time I try to reboot, I get a BROKEN PIPE warning. Now, with 3.3 it gives more of an indication the reboot is working, (get a time to reboot alert) but still, it all ends with BROKEN PIPE. DOZENS of hours researching but haven’t hit on solution. All I run is PIAWARE, nothing else, and all I have is the 3.3 image and what results from scripts. Other than REBOOT, I appear to be working PERFECTLY. Any ideas (remember, I am one or maybe two syllable explanation guy!) Thanks.

What scripts?

The ADSB Receiver Scripts.

It’s probably one of them that’s generating a broken pipe error then, since I don’t see that on a vanilla image. You should ask the adsbreceiver forums about it.

Okay, who moved the cheese on me?

I’ve been running 3.3 and finally noticed that the titles on my local web pages have changed (back) to FlightAware dump1090.

I went after /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/config.js (changing “FlightAware dump1090” to “Wombat” which is the system name).

and reloaded the page in my browser, but that didn’t seem to do it.

tried /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/index.html and reloaded the page, but that didn’t help either.

Interesting! when I quit the browser (Chrome 56.0.2924.76, the current 64 bit OSX version) and restart it, when the page loads, I see “Wombat” for a short time, then it goes to “FlightAware dump1090” so I partially changed things…

Next step is to restart things, which I’ll try after 10pm when traffic dies down.

I haven’t had to do this for a while, so I may have forgotten the magic spell (which I will write down this time). I’m hesitant to simply reboot the little beastie, as it’s been up for 143 days(!!!).

Suggestion/request for the next version – pull the system name and use that for the page title? Or, pull it from the private name on the FlightAware page, as is done with the lat/long? That probably makes more sense.

And thanks again for all the work that goes into developing and maintaining this stuff, and the back end that makes it sing!

bob k6rtm

I upgraded via the control panel as well, did a reboot and now i am presented with the following error upon login:

Last login: Sat Jan 28 15:23:09 2017 from 10.0.0.10
-bash: service: command not found
pi@piaware:~$

Any suggestions on what service may be affected with the upgrade to 3.3.0?

This is not causing any problems that I see yet.

This is a bug in upstream Raspbian that I have reported but they appear uninterested in fixing: github.com/RPi-Distro/raspberry … /issues/14
It is mostly a cosmetic problem. If you remove /etc/profile.d/sshpasswd.sh it will go away.

Thanks obj.

I keep getting the following error when trying to reply:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /posting.php on this server.

It works for me. I modified only config.js, did not touch index.html

https://s20.postimg.org/q6wyx2zst/Page_Name_config_js.png

Page name issue – cockpit error; the problem was with the loose nut holding the stick…

Chrome’s caching is too good – you have to ask politely and persistently to have it flush cached contents…

And when I did that, the page names changed!

I’d still like to see it pick up the page name from the private site name, just as it picks up lat/long.

bob k6rtm

@Bob: That is for sure, more than once I thought the world had ended, and it was just a matter of a thorough cache cleansing.

My new receiver just came in today (Sunday, wasn’t expecting that). Installed. The new pro unit is blue and doesn’t have a light inside of it and it also doesn’t need the filter. It is a lot more sensitive that my older (Yellow Unit) and works a lot better. The 3.3 image is working great as well. I did notice that once the software started, it took longer than usual to start working as the old unit, I was seeing mapping almost immediately once the unit was booted up. The new one takes about 5 minutes before everything is up and running (The MLAT Data took 5 minutes to sync). Not sure if some of that could be part device/port install or what… that part does not matter as I only rebooted it usually about once per month and then either real late at night or way early in the morning when traffic is light.

I would really like to know what caused the old unit to go bad. It was working great and then once we did the update, the unit was showing working (light illuminated), but would not talk to the Pi and all this happened simultaneously with the firmware update. The dongle was mounted, not moved or touched during the update. Something in the updated happened that caused this to go bad, and not sure what.

BTW, anyone know what the warranty is on these units?

As I see it:

Pro’s
1.) Does not need the filter
2.) A much better receiver that is much more sensitive and picks up stations further out than the other unit ever did (I have the 49" antenna, Mounted on a 10’ mast above my roof amazon.com/gp/product/B01BK … UTF8&psc=1) and it is really a step above the 24". I routinely get traffic up to 200-250 mile region.

Con’s
1.) No built in indicator/power light
2.) Slower to boot

The Pro’s well out weigh the Con’s in my book.

Thanks for all the assistance, all is now working very well on

A 6 ft 6 inch tall, very wide shoulders, well built, and very muscular man entered a bus and said “Big John dont pay” and sat on one of the seats.

The driver, who was 5ft 6 inches tall, lean structure, weak muscles, did not dare to ask him why.

This repeated for couple of days. The drvier was so much annoyed that he decided to join a judo karate school and gym, where he learned the martial arts and built his muscles.

After completing the training, next day when Big John said “Big John dont pay”, the bus driver shouted “Why not?”.
Big John replied “Because Big John has a bus pass”.

Moral of story: Most problems are very small, but most of us (including me) often feel these are very big. :smiley:

Is there an easy way to get the config back to run the web server on 8080 again? I have pi-hole running on my PiAware and before they used different ports so it wasn’t an issue, but now that the web interface got moved to 80 it no longer shows up because pihole is already configured there.