Aircraft Equipment

I have always filed as a BE20/G on our King Air (N34LT) and a BE23/G on our Sundowner (N3657Q) and lately it has been putting a /R on Flight Aware tracker instead of /G on both. Haven’t seen anybody else’s do this.

/R is RNP capable. Are you filing through FlightAware or another service?

I am filing through Fltplan.com as a /G.

You should file through FlightAware. But it’s correct that it’ll show up as /R now. It’s most typical when filing a domestic ICAO flight plan.

Ok. I was just wondering why all of a sudden in was showing as a /R.
I will file with Flight Aware next to to see how I like it.

I think that is only typical if the user has filed the ICAO flight plan incorrectly. On FltPlan.com, leave the RNP box blank and only fill in the RNAV level for departure/enroute and arrival. RNP only really applies to operations in WATRS and other oceanic airspace and maybe for SAAAR RNP/RNAV approaches. This is a very frequently misunderstood area. Here’s some info from the ICAO profile page on FltPlan.com:

RNAV Capability

RNAV Capability NOTES There are no new acronyms, terms or performance requirements associated with the new domestic ICAO Format flight plans.

As far as domestic flight plans are concerned, ATC is only looking for more information concerning your aircraft’s SID, STAR and enroute navigation capabilities.

If you were legal to fly “T” routes, “Q” routes, RNAV SIDs and STARs before…you can still fly them…you just need to let ATC know this on your flight plan.

If you don’t have the “answers” to the RNAV questions then leave them blank. Your flight plan will be filed and ATC will not include any RNAV routing in your IFR clearance.

For all the official information on “U.S. Terminal and En Route Area Navigation (RNAV) Operations”, click here for FAA Advisory Circular AC No: 90-100A

For a check of compliant equipment by Manufacturers, click here for FAA List of AC90-100 Compliant Equipment

RNP - stands for “Required Navigation Performance”. Select the RNP value for your aircraft based on aircraft capability and area of operation.

Note 1 : Just leave this box blank if status is unknown.

Note 2 : Domestically, this information is not used. (ATC uses the RNAV Departure/Enroute/Arrival info )

Note 3 : For more information on RNP levels, please see AIM section 2 1-2-2

Note 4 : RNP Levels presently supported for International Operations.

RNP Level 4 Oceanic/remote areas where 30 NM lateral separation is applied
        RNP Level 10 Oceanic/remote areas where 50 NM lateral separation is applied

Note 5 : Aircraft and Airborne Equipment Eligibility for RNP Operations. (from AIM)

Aircraft meeting RNP criteria will have an appropriate entry including special conditions and limitations in its Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM), or supplement.
        Operators of aircraft not having specific AFM-RNP certification may be issued operational approval including special conditions and limitations for specific RNP levels.

RNAV Departure Level - select 1 of the 2 options from the dropdown box.

BLANK - the aircraft does not meet the requirements for any RNAV departure

RNAV 1 - the aircraft can meet the navigational requirements of a SID (DP) requiring RNAV 1 capability.

Note 1 : If you don’t think you have RNAV Departure capabilities (or don’t know) then you probably don’t. Leave the box empty.

Note 2 : At this time, all RNAV SIDs in the U.S. are RNAV 1. If you are presently legal to fly RNAV SIDs, then RNAV 1 would be the smart choice.

RNAV Enroute Level - Select 1 of the 3 possible choices from the dropdown box

BLANK - the aircraft has no area navigational capabilities

RNV 2 - the aircraft can navigate enroute with a 2 nm or less crosstrack error for 95% of the time

RNV 99 - Select this option if you can legally navigate from point to point (PTP) but don’t meet the requirements of RNV 2 enroute capabilities.

Note 1 : If you don’t think you have RNAV Enroute capabilities (or don’t know) then you probably don’t. Leave the box empty.

Note 2 : At this time, all RNAV Routes in the contiguous U.S. are RNAV 2. If you are presently legal to fly ‘T’ & ‘Q’ routes, then RNAV 2 would be the smart choice.

RNAV Arrival Level - Select 1 of the 2 options from the dropdown box.

BLANK - the aircraft does not meet the requirements for any RNAV Arrival

RNAV 1 - the aircraft can meet the navigational requirements of a STAR requiring RNAV 1 capability.

Note 1 : If you don’t think you have RNAV Arrival capabilities (or don’t know) then you probably don’t. Leave the box empty.

Note 2 : At this time, all RNAV STARs in the U.S. are RNAV 1. If you are presently legal to fly RNAV STARs, then RNAV 1 would be the smart choice.