Adsbhub.org

What is the purpose of sites like adsbhub.org?

I do feed them, they do not seem to be commercial enterprises like FA and FR24 so seem to be just an interest organisation. Appreciate they do not filter data, same as adsbExchange who appear to be continuing with this policy despite going commercial recently.

Just curious as to what use the amalgamated data from these sites would be used for.

Geoff

adbshub.org is indeed a bit strange: no company or individual names, no imprint, DNS registration anonymous (Whois adsbhub.org) etc.

1 Like

I didn’t look into them in the depth you have just highlighted. That is strange.

Geoff

Even though adsbhub.org does not appear to be a commercial enterprise, they receive revenue through advertising. They also have all of the user info that they can use elsewhere within their own organization; perhaps a commercial site. Strictly speaking that isn’t sharing. Finally, can one believe everything that is stated on their site?

EDIT - further research indicates that adsbhub.org has less than 500 visitors per day an generates less than US$0.20 per day in ad revenue. The servers are hosted by Hetzner Online GmbH, Kasel, Germany, ip 94.130.23.233.

See more at hypestat.com

2 Likes

Has anyone done a similar research on adsb.fi ?

And then there’s adsb.one and adsb.lol.

1 Like

2 Likes

The domain is behind Cloudflare DNS services.
Registered on planeetta.fi, which is a hosting provider. Domain is registered on January 26 this year.
Holder is set to “private owner” which prevents showing further details.

Similar result for the other two sites
One is registered with Google, the other with Porkbun. Both set to private with Cloudflare as DNS

4 Likes

Thank you @foxhunter

2 Likes

@foxhunter I’m sure you’re correct on who these sites are registered to, however my point in mentioning them is: why have multiple sites as successors to adsbexchange? Why not pool resources and have one site?

2 Likes

It is for the same reason that there are multiple vendors that sell or giveaway the same product. The revenue is not from the product, but from ancillary services.

Since adsbexchange source-code was well developed, and open source available at Github, it has become very easy for anyone to create a clone of adsbexchange.

2 Likes

Maybe for some it is just the fascination of creating a project. To them if they get a handful of visitors then they are happy. Bit like views on YouTube videos :sunglasses:

I actually run a VRS server on a Cloud linux instance, just an interest project for a computer club where four of us also run PiAware. As we are North and South East of London it is interesting as between us we catch Heathrow, Gatwick, Stanstead, Northolt and Luton traffic as well as some local airports.

Geoff

1 Like

Fascinating the info that is available. Curiosity; how did you get the amount of visitors for the site, is there a counter on their site somewhere?

Geoff

I’m not a programmer but can follow basic script, I generally like to look over any feed scripts before actually running them but must admit the adsb.fi script has lost me, there is some function that I have no idea about :face_with_raised_eyebrow: They even have some code to prevent it running on an adsbexchange image (Line 42 of setup.sh).

Geoff

In these crazy times, it might even be of strategic relevance to collect local and unfiltered flight data as much as possible…

1 Like

@send2gl

There is a link in the original post. (hypestat.com)

1 Like

Apologies, missed the link.

That is a useful site, thanks.

Geoff

One is registered with Google, the other with Porkbun. Both set to private with Cloudflare as DNS

1 Like

Valid question, but i cannot answer it. Should be asked to the sites.
I am sure they thought about it already, and now took the opportunity to create it.

Beside that adsb.fi is the only one i know showing similar functionality.