ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

The already build .deb package available at Flightaware repository is custom made for armv6/armv7 (i.e. Raspberry Pi). It wont run on any intel cpu 32 or 64 bit.

The Adsb-receiver Project script does NOT use pre-built .deb package from Flightaware repository. Instead it builds the .deb package from source code, right on the computer on which it will be used, and perfectly matches it, 32 bit or 64 bit. It uses the Piaware source code made available by Flightaware at GitHub.

Dont wory, simply run ./install.sh, deselect all choices, and select only Flightaware Piaware. The script will check your computer and determin if it is 32 bit or 64 bit, and build and install Flightaware Piaware package matching it.

2 Likes

Hi abcd switching to this project, I launched the script untill almost at the end but I’ve been stoppted by the following message :

Have you got any idea on how to resume?
Thanks

Whatever is in the screenshot shows that piaware .deb package did not built as some pre requisite process build_cxfreez has failed. The earlier lines of output may contain more details. Without full log, it is hard to tell what went wrong.

I will suggest delete the cloned folder, and start from begining

sudo rm -rf ~/adsb-receiver

cd ~/

git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver.git

cd ~/adsb-receiver

./install.sh
1 Like

This looks like trying to use the jessie build on something with a newer python.
3.6.2 uses a newer cxfreeze that works with newer python versions if you tell it to build for stretch/xenial/bionic
The adsbreceiver scripts probably need updating to know about that.

1 Like

@patam996
Kindly post output of following 2 commands

cat /etc/os-release

uname -a

This is what Joe’s script essentially does to build piaware _*.deb package

(1) Install dependencies & tools to build

sudo apt-get install -y  build-essential
sudo apt-get install -y  debhelper
sudo apt-get install -y  tcl8.6-dev
sudo apt-get install -y  autoconf
sudo apt-get install -y  python3-dev
sudo apt-get install -y  python3-venv
sudo apt-get install -y  virtualenv
sudo apt-get install -y  dh-systemd
sudo apt-get install -y  zlib1g-dev
sudo apt-get install -y  tclx8.4
sudo apt-get install -y  tcllib
sudo apt-get install -y  tcl-tls
sudo apt-get install -y  itcl3
sudo apt-get install -y  net-tools

(2) Clone source code and build .deb package

git clone https://github.com/flightaware/piaware_builder.git

cd piaware_builder  

./sensible-build.sh jessie

Above are the two screenshots, I’m currently running Bionic.
I though that there where an issue when building the .deb but haven’t any idea on how to fix this …

That needs to be ./sensible-build.sh bionic if you’re running on Ubuntu bionic

Thanks Oliver for pin-pointing the cause and providing the solution.

I was surprised when I postmortemed :slight_smile: Joe’s script, and saw that ./sensible-build.sh jessie is hard-coded.

What Joe needs to do is

1. Add a variable: DISTRO_NAME.
  2. Add a funtion: function find_distro_name(){blah blah} and assign its output to variable DISTRO_NAME`.
  3. Change hard-coded line ./sensible-build.sh jessie to ./sensible-build.sh ${DISTRO_NAME}.
1 Like

Thanks for posting output of two commands I have requested. These clearly show that you are using Bionic on x86_64 machine.

As Joe’s script in current form will fail to install Piaware on any distro other than Jessie, please use following manual method:

NOTE:
To avoid typing mistakes, do NOT type these commands. Instead copy-paste from here.

(1) Install dependencies & tools to build

THESE COMMAND LINES ARE LONG, AND SOME PORTION MAY BE HIDDEN
SCROLL RIGHT TO SEE THE HIDDEN PORTION OF THESE COMMANDS

sudo apt-get install -y  build-essential debhelper  tcl8.6-dev  autoconf 

sudo apt-get install -y  python3-dev  python3-venv  virtualenv  

sudo apt-get install -y  dh-systemd  zlib1g-dev   tclx8.4  tcllib 

sudo apt-get install -y  tcl-tls  itcl3  net-tools  devscripts 

(2) Clone source code and build .deb package

THESE COMMAND LINES ARE LONG, AND SOME PORTION MAY BE HIDDEN
SCROLL RIGHT TO SEE THE HIDDEN PORTION OF THESE COMMANDS

sudo mkdir ~/build-piaware 

cd ~/build-piaware 

sudo git clone https://github.com/flightaware/piaware_builder.git 

cd piaware_builder  

sudo ./sensible-build.sh bionic 

cd package-bionic 

sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b 

cd ../ 

sudo dpkg -i piaware_*.deb 

1 Like

Maybe you should post that on the project page? Not sure how often Joe is working on it though…

Thanks for your answer and your time.
It seems I still have an issue to access the .deb. (I copy-past from your post).
Any idea?

@patam996
Sorry, 2 steps were missing where you got stuck. I have updated my post. Please follow it now.

Missing steps were:

cd package-bionic

sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b 

As shown in screenshot below, the piaware source-code is compatible to following distros

• bionic
  • jessie
  • stretch
  • wheezy
  • xenial

Owners of all these distros can build piaware using method given in my above post. However in two commands they should change the word bionic by their applicble version name (wheezy, jessie, stretch, xenial).

EDIT
To find your version’s name use following command

cat /etc/os-release

As an example, the above command gave following output on my installs:
DEBIAN 9.5

PRETTY_NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)”
NAME=“Debian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“9”
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=debian
HOME_URL=“https://www.debian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“Debian -- User Support
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.debian.org/

UBUNTU 18.0.4

NAME=“Ubuntu”
VERSION=“18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver)”
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME=“Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS”
VERSION_ID=“18.04”
HOME_URL=“https://www.ubuntu.com/
SUPPORT_URL=“https://help.ubuntu.com/
BUG_REPORT_URL=“Bugs : Ubuntu
PRIVACY_POLICY_URL=“Data privacy | Ubuntu
VERSION_CODENAME=bionic
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

I have to admitt I’m lost I re ran the complet script from 11 june adding the new script above completed with the 2 lines you provided me with.

The result is almost the same but I went further till the end and obtained new errors related to Php knowing that Php7.2 is already instally on my PC
Maybe the path to be followed from the beginning of this thread is obvious for you, it’s not the case for a new comer. I’m sade, this tool seems to be very nice.

Unrelated to above… today I was following a plane that had appeared in both UAT (978MHz) and MLAT/ModeS (1090MHz) maps, flying at 25,000 ft (it seldom happens).
I definitely need a better 978MHz antenna and raise it where the one for 1090MHz sits. See pics for the range difference.

978MHz - lost it at 20.4NM/37.8km

1090MHz - lost it at 97.7 miles ( that’s 84.9 NM/ 157km)

I use autogain with my dump978 setup(I think it is -g 0)
It seems to work better with autogain.
I also have the hab/nevis amp (and a cavity filter but this is just for my very noisy location).

1 Like

I have too the auto gain enabled. And it’s a FlightAware Pro Stick with preamp (no filter).

I wonder… the power of the plane radio transmitters is different between the two?