ADS-B Ground Station Raspberry PI-2 Boot Problem

Can someone who has successfully built an ADS-B Ground Station (using the FlightAware provided instructions) please call me (832) 228-5611)?

The Raspberry PI-2 continues to have steady RED and GREEN led’s that do not blink . . . (SD card has the correct PiAware file downloaded after properly formatting card). Looking on various discussion forums, e.g. the Raspberry Forum, I have seen many others who also experienced this same problem.

Will try a different SD card today.

Surely someone out there can talk me through fixing this problem. Who out there has previously experienced this same steady RED & GREEN led (no boot) problem and found the fix?

Please share the fix that you found works.

Thanks!

First step is to plug in a monitor and see what it does.

support reference is 78095

Here is what I have done:

1. plugged in monitor using HDMI to my desktop PC . . . . still have steady red & green led’s
  2. purchased 2nd SD card 64GB
  3. Formatted 2nd SD card using SD Formatting program
  4. downloaded Noobs Raspian RPI OS onto to new SD
  5. downloaded PiAware program onto new SD
  6. inserted new SD
  7. connected Cat5
  8. connected antenna
  9. no keyboard connected
  10. plugged in power using power adapter from FlightAware list.

Results SAME! Steady Red & Green led’s

Very Frustrating! Can you please give me a call (832) 228-5611

How can you do this?
4. downloaded Noobs Raspian RPI OS onto to new SD
5. downloaded PiAware program onto new SD

You should just use the PiAware image. It is done in one go.
You can do it via noobs, however, it is a little more work.

How did you get the image onto the card?
You have to use a program, you cannot simply copy the files.
Run the Win32DiskImager utility. You might need to run the utility as Administrator (if so, right-click on the file, and select “Run as administrator”).
Select your downloaded piaware-sd-card-2.1-5.img file.
Select the drive letter of the SD card in the device box. Be careful to select the correct drive.
Click write and wait for it to complete. This might take a few minutes.
When this is done, eject and remove the SD card

Did you use these instructions
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

or these
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install

Technically these are not “ADS-B Ground Stations”. The ground stations are run by agencies of governments that utilise ADS-B for air traffic control. A company called Areon (aireon.com/) also wants to monitor ADS-B from Iridium LEO satellites.

We are just receivers, that may or may not, send their data to one or more companies/amalgamation sites.
It is entirely possible to not share the data with anyone or just within a small, closed group.

AIS is a similar system for Ships that can also be monitored.
APRS has been used by amateur radio people for years.
My old Garmin Rinos are capable of sending regular GPS position reports that could be monitored in a similar way.

Did your monitor briefly show a large multicolored square when you connected power to the Pi? Like this:

If you don’t see that and the screen just stays black (or no signal), it’s not even beginning to boot; as jon says, you’re probably not imaging the sdcard correctly. The Pi requires a correctly set up sdcard or it won’t even begin to boot.

I would recommend using a smaller SD card. I believe 32GB is the max size “officially” supported by the Raspberry pi.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Format your SD card to use a FAT32 file system once plugged into your PC.
Write the image to the SD card using a utility such as Win32 Disk Imager.
Unplug ALL unnecessary devices from the Raspberry Pi (No RTL-SDR dongle for sure. Only a keyboard at most).
Plug the Raspberry Pi into a monitor or TV.
Boot it up see what happens.

If it still refuses to boot…

Try another power supply if available.
If things still do not work try another SD card.

If this is an older RPi sometimes the pins inside the SD card socket get pushed down. You can try to cut out a piece of an index card or some other sort of “somewhat thick” paper in the shape of your SD card and insert both the paper and SD card stacked together into the socket in order to make sure the card has a better chance of coming in contact with the pins if this is the case.