Adding a second station...

Hi all,

I’ll be building a 2nd station from my spare parts this weekend - intention is to give it to my dad, who’s based on the Isle of Wight here in the UK.

I want this to be registered as “my second reciver” in fA stats, PlaneFinder etc etc.

Am I right in thinking I just give it my current user creds, and the feeders work out it’s a second station based on the MAC and location of the station?

You don’t even need to give it credentials, just claim it like you did with the first receiver.

Cheers @Obj :slight_smile:

Hi all,

My 2nd station is now up and running at it’s location on the Isle of Wight…

ADSB-Receiver image succesfully running, with a few @lignumaqua’s settings and UI enhancments.

I set up the FlightAware feeder with my same station creds as my current station, it shows it in the “connection history” list on the Claim function, but doesnt actually show it as a second station in my fA stats?

It’s no-longer on my local network (it’s on my dads), so I dont think it’ll pick it up that way…

Any thoughts?

FlightAware Support here.

Looking at your FlightAware account there’s just the one current PiAware feed associated, ID 19652.

Have you tried to associate the second feed with your account or does your dad have his own Flightware account?

If you can let me know the MAC address of the new feed I can check if we’re receiving a feed and if it’s associated with any account.

Thanks @Admin,

I built the 2nd station (RPi Zero FWIW) over the weekend, and had it work fine on my net work… indeed, it even showed in my “Claim” list a few times (though seemed very sporadic).
AFAIR, it never got as far as to show in the fA stats screen…

Looking at my claim list now, it does show the Pi Zero…

Pi_Zero (24:3c:20:05:bf:3a): PiAware (SD Card) 2.1 added Wednesday, 2 December 2015

That looks like when I first tried it on the Pi0 when it first came out - the MAC should be the same though.

I take it this is an “ever seen” list, rather than “currently seeing” ie the Pi0, as we believe, isnt actually feeding?

I’m running Jo’s ADSB-R image, but I’ll get dad to re-issue the PiAware user creds command, just to make sure that’s correct…

That MAC address is “past” associated with your account but hasn’t been active since December 2015.

We don’t see any data coming from it right now.

Hi @FlightAware Support…

Re-ran the manual login instructions from here:

uk.flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim/manual

Still not showing up as my 2nd reciever.

Pi Aware Status gives the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/piaware status

● piaware.service - LSB: Communicate ADS-B data to FlightAware

Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/piaware)

Active: active (exited) since Tue 2016-05-17 19:26:47 BST; 4min 45s ago

Process: 9033 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/piaware stop (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Process: 9042 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/piaware start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

May 17 19:26:47 dadsPi piaware[9042]: Starting piaware server: piaware.

May 17 19:26:47 dadsPi systemd[1]: Started LSB: Communicate ADS-B data to FlightAware.

May 17 19:30:35 dadsPi systemd[1]: Started LSB: Communicate ADS-B data to FlightAware.

The “claim” page doesnt find anything, and of course it’s not on my local IP range anymore…

uk.flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim

try just
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim
or
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim
It resolves to local servers, not UK servers.

OK, just remotely upgraded my dads Pi to Jo’s 2.0.2 ADSB-R…

All works fine as expected, Planefinder client working locally etc etc.

Now, I note if I give my dad my flightAware details, when he clicks on the “FlightAware Client Stats” link in ADSB-R, it basically logs him into fA stats, as me, showing the stats from my main station, rather than as a second station on that account?

Only one station (mine) is showing…

Leads me to think this is a slight confusion on my part; AFAIR, using the same login from a different MAC should show as a second station, yes?

On Joe’s software within the admin web page there is a FlightAware site box which selects the site you want to go to. The lowest site number is typically the oldest. If this is not filled in they you will go to the oldest.

Hmm, running out of ideas here…

• dump1090-mutability’s definately running, as it shows locall mapping
  • based on my earlier output, seems PiAware feeder is running
  • set to use the same username and password as my own PiAware feeder (have done the manual set user / password a number of times now)
  • have rebooted the Pi a number of times to ensure everything’s started as expected

Will run Piaware status again later:

sudo piaware-status

Just to check - I dont think there are any network ports that need explicitly opening are there?
I dont remember need to do so for my own station…

Ironically, my dads station - built from my old cheap spares, actually has much further range than mine! :wink:
(He’s on the Southern tip of the Isle of Wight, although he has a cliff north of him, he’s seen birds at c310SM south, over France etc).
Of course, this depends on the surrounding terrain etc, but… Grrrr! :wink:

Thanks @Boab, that makes sence…

However, with only one station tracking, i’ve only got the one station ID…

Will try that when I get my second station showing up though :slight_smile:

Hmm, think I’m on to something here…

Running the PiAware status check:

dump1090 is not running
faup1090 is not running
piaware is not running
dump1090-mutabi is listening for connections on port 30005
faup1090 is NOT connected to port 30005
piaware is NOT connected to FlightAware
dump1090-mutabi is producing data on port 30005 

“That’ll be yerr problem!” :wink:

I’ll restart piAware again - I’ve already done this a number of times and rebooted the pi, but maybe this times the charm, for no apparent reason… :wink:

Hmm, not sure what to do next…

Still shows as not running…
Still not showing up on the fA network…
Doesnt show up on Claim.

Have restarted, re-issued password etc.

Any thoughts?

Looking at the out put - afair - the fact PiAware isnt running isnt the issue, as Mutability replaces that…

Mut’s outputiing data as expected,

but

piaware is NOT connected to FlightAware

Would seem to be the issue…

I take it Mut should be Listening to AND outputting data on the same port - is that correct?
Didnt change any ports during the install…

dump1090-mutabi is listening for connections on port 30005

Looking on the wider web, I see this output should show the issue:

sudo nano /tmp/piaware.out

I’ll copy the last 20x lines in that file, and see if that shows anything of interest.

C

Hmm, thinking about this - afair, piAware is the fA feeder, ergo not replaceable by mut…

So, I need to figure out why PiAware’s not running.

If you check status with:

sudo service piaware status

Does it show running?

What about:
sudo service piaware restart

Does the service stop and start cleanly?

If its not running… it will not report.

Check if you see service starting in /var/log/dump1090-mutability.log

Thnks WhiteCitadel,

Ran piaware-status again last night, looks more promissing:

dump1090 is not running.

faup1090 is running.

piaware is running.

dump1090-mutabi is listening for connections on port 30005.

faup1090 is connected to port 30005.

piaware is connected to FlightAware.

dump1090-mutabi is producing data on port 30005.

(To get to this stage, I re-ran the user / password command - odd, I’d done this before).

Looking at piaware.out, say it’s sending data to fA, and that fA has recieved data from the receiver.

However, still not showing up as a second station?
This has been running all night, since c18:00 yesterday.

AFAIR, a second station should show up - and be clickable - from the fA UI, the green bar under the map?

I’ll try those other logs as you suggest - thanks! :slight_smile:

NB - I’ve rebooted the Pi a number of times - generally after making changes here.
I believe this has the same impact - restarting everything - as the command to restart piAware?