so new,i have no equipment as yet..but i have questions...

first why multiple Pi receivers? ( if i understand all those other posts…i prolly dont :confused: )

when i first began reading about this on flightaware,i understood that you had to be approved to have it go live on FA?..i had filled something out,and it told me there were too many stations in my area,they wouldnt accept me,has this requirement?.or did i missunderstand back then?

viewing your data,is it all just a bunch of computer mumble jumble?..or can you track a plane across the sky using FA? (i also read that flightradar24 will accept same?)

and ,again, i read back then that you could view your feed on PC,laptop, tablet and a HD tv…this last one true at all??

and to the TV part,if so,can you view it all offline ?.. just your pc ( in my case) the TV and the Pi setup and antenna?

trying to read all the below started to make my head swim…

Dave Kauffman jr

I’ll reply about viewing your feed locally. Here is a snapshot of my Dump1090 local display from the FlightAware PiAware SD Card Image running on my Raspberry Pi2. I simply point a web browser from one of my home computers at port 8080 of the IP address of the Raspberry Pi2. I have modified the HTML page somewhat from the original for my own purposes. This could be displayed on a Smart TV which is network connected within my home as well.

Link - http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u405/blackdot25/Misc/ads-b/piaware-snapshot.jpg

You don’t need to run multiple pi receivers - One is sufficient. Some people run more than one for testing purposes, to use directional antennas, or to cover more than one location.

The application you made was probably for FA to provide you with one of their receivers. You are only likely to get one if the area you are in is not already well covered. If you have your own equipment (an RTL dongle or other receiver) then you can feed data just by downloading the software.

The data that comes out of the reveiver is pretty much “computer mumbo jumbo”, although some receiver software will also display the decoded data on a map (eg dump1090, modesdeco2). It’s quite simple to feed the data into other software such as Virtual Radar Server, which will track and show a variety of data. Other software such as Planeplotter, ADSBscope, and Basestation can all display the data and have various other features. Some of this software will give an output as a web page, which you can view on pretty much anything with a browser.

You don’t need an internet connection to display locally received data but it can be useful, eg planeplotter supports sharing and receiving data from other users.