AA763 at PHKO

Here’s an interesting one:

On Friday (10/6) AA9673 was a 763 from KAFW (Alliance) to PHKO (Kona):

flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9 … /KAFW/PHKO

First I thought it must have been a repositioning flight due to an AOG, or maybe a charter. But it’s done several “out and backs” over the past 24 hours:

flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9 … /PHKO/PHKO

flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL9671

And it looks like there is another AAL9670 scheduled for Sunday.

Any idea what’s going on? Looks like fun for the flight crew !

I think I am getting better at this, does the ‘9’ in AA9673 denote a maintainance flight? The way you describe things sure sounds like test flights. Plus the flight number seems to represent other makes in the fleet which may be another clue.

9000 series flights for many of the major airlines indicates a ferry, maintenance, or positioning flight.

Lanc’-

Dami described it correctly; there are standard flight number “blocks” used. 8xxx are “Extra sections” for example (ABC airlines flight 123 will have a flight ABC8123 if a second aircraft is added to a normal flight. This might happen during a holiday, a special event, etc.

I’m still wondering what AA is up to in Kona. They’ve moved a 763 there to do several daily “test” flights.

well, if YOU were required to recertify an aircraft ETOPS after an engine change or some other requirement, would you go to Hawaii or Alaska to get the required overwater cert?

No contest in my book, and Kona is a pretty quiet little airport with services for widebodies. Alliance is the main mainteance base for engine changes as well- Tulsa does everything else. . .

These are probably D check ETOPS recert flights.