1090 and 978 simultaneously?

The subject has been discussed in previous threads and I have not found a solution.
I have two seperate sdr radios plugged into Pi, one 1090 and one 978.
(Nooelec Dual-Band NESDR Nano)
Is there a script to have both report to FlightAware at the same time?

You have to write Piaware SD Card image to your microSD Card

1. Go to following page
https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build/

2. Scroll down to this part to download the Piaware SD Card image.

3. Follow instructions on the same page to configure piaware, dump1090-fa & dump978-fa

1 Like

Thanks for the response.
The system is up and running connected to and serving FlightAware, but only utilizing 1090.
I have the second 978 dongle connected to the Pi as well.
The question still remains, by changing/modifying the config file to enable 978UAT does that mean only 978 will report? Or will they both report?
From step 8-
"To enable UAT mode, set “uat-receiver-type” to “sdr” and “receiver-type” to “none”. A reboot is required for receiver changes to take effect. Other piaware-config UAT options can be found in the table above."

CASE-1: If you want to run 1090 Mhz only
In this case, you will need only one dongle, but you will have to enable dump1090-fa & disable dump978-fa by following command

(You dont have to issue these commands when you write a fresh piaware sd card image, as this is the default setting in a freshly written image.)

sudo piaware-config receiver-type rtlsdr
sudo piaware-config uat-receiver-type none
sudo systemctl restart piaware

CASE-2: If If you want to run BOTH 1090 MHz & 978 MHz
In this case two dongles are required, one for 1090 and other for 978, and you will have to enable both dump1090-fa and dump978-fa by following commands

sudo piaware-config receiver-type rtlsdr
sudo piaware-config uat-receiver-type sdr

CASE-3: If you want to run 978 Mhz only
In this case, you will need only one dongle, but you will have to disable dump1090-fa by following command

sudo piaware-config uat-receiver-type sdr
sudo piaware-config receiver-type none

You will need to configure serial numbers also in the piaware-config. To know serial numbers of NooElec pre-serialized dongles do this:

sudo apt install rtl-sdr   

sudo systemctl stop piaware dump1090-fa dump978-fa   

After above two commands, first plug 1090 dongle only and unplug 978 dongle, and issue following command. The output will display serial numbr of 1090 dongle:

rtl_test t

Next unplug 1090 dongle and plug 978 dongle only, and issue following command The output will display serial numbr of 978 dongle:

rtl_test t

After test, plug both dongles, and reboot RPi

Excellent!
Thank you for the responses.
CASE 2 is the goal.

1 Like

With 2 dongles and 2 dumps (dump1090 & dump978), at boot / start up, the two dumps will randomly grab dongles.

As a result dump1090 may grab the dongle to which 978 antenna is connected and dump978 grab the dongle to which 1090 antenna is connected. This will result in poor performance of both.

It may also happen that both dumps try to grab same dongle, the dump which is fast in start grabs it, the other dump finds the dongle already grabbed, and fails.

To prevent this, the technique is to serialize the two dongles with two different serial numbers, then configure the two dumps with respective serial number.

Example:

Step-1:
Serialize Dongles (CLICK HERE)
Serialize 1090 dongle with 8-digit serial 00001090
Serialize 978 dongle with 8-digit serial 00000978

Step-2:
Configure two dumps to use their respective dongles

dump1090-fa:
sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-device-index 00001090

dump978-fa
sudo piaware-config uat-sdr-device driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978

Step-3:
Reboot Pi to implement configuration settings
sudo reboot

1 Like

FYI I’ve found that the leading zeros aren’t required, at least not for my FA Pro orange dongle and my Nooelec NESDR SMArt dongle. YMMV.

That is only part of the information. Complete information is:

(1) Leading zeros are not required.
(2) Total number of digits need not be 8 (may be less).
(3) Alphabets (or a mixture of number and alphabets) instead of numbers can be used.

That said, the 8-digit format with leading zeros is used to conform to manufacturer’s provided 8-digit counter and numbering format.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.