If I ask any pilot or a flight instructor just assigned to start teaching me how to fly in a Part 91 or 141 type school or just to go for a ride with in plane -
Would a pilot be insulted or refuse or be pissed off if I asked questions to him/her like:
- let me see your current pilot license ?
- let me look thru your latest flight logbook ?
- how many hours total do you have ?
- have you had any accidents/incidents against you ?
- how many hours dual instruction have given ?
- how long been a CFI ?
- how many students have recd PPL or other licenses thru you ?
- is medical uptodate ?
- anything else about CFI or pilot’s flying history/skills/ratings etc ?
I wouldnt get in a car and let a stranger drive me around on the roads
- So why should I do same by getting in a plane and let a stranger
(CFI or another licensed pilot ) fly me around ?
Maybe the CFI or pilot would be proud or honest and glad to show and answer all the above questions ?
I can go an look up some basic minor info on FAA airman registry
like if have current medical or type of pilot license.
I just think if you dont ask - noone is gonna usually volunteer to tell ya.
Plus I would run the other way - if the CFI or pilot gets all offended or angry just because I ask - before hopping in the plane with them
Ohh and same goes for the aircraft - rental or flying club or whatever -
- ask to see AW certificate
- how old and how many hours on airframe and engine
- any prior accidents or issues with it
- last time it was maintained
- to see the actual paper records and docs showing above
Is this a good idea or cool to do ?
Are you stupid if you dont ask or at least be thinking about this stuff ?